• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM IC-730 high SWR+ Other issues

Crambone

Jan 22, 2019
Guys my 730 is showing high SWR into a known good dummy load on all bands. Is there something that I can look at to troubleshoot this?

If there are no bad connections it could be that some screwdriver expert messed with the vswr coupler null,
you will find how to adjust it with a good dummyload in the alignment procedure

Reactions: BJ radionut
If there are no bad connections it could be that some screwdriver expert messed with the vswr coupler null,
you will find how to adjust it with a good dummyload in the alignment procedure
Tried it with no success

also low power output AM on any band only 10 watts dead key out. cant key long due to high SWR don't want to make worse.

Coming off the ACC board J8 it goes to the PA I believe, I found this wire not connected to the PA Board. Does anyone know were it ties in on the PA Board?

Those older rigs have a sensitive SWR feedback circuit, if alignment is off they fold back the power.
Service manual has AM power MAX 35 watts in the alignment stage of the service manual.
See section 8 details in the alignment procedure.
I'm with BOB85...somebody has been into that thing and jacked with it...
If I had to guess trying to drive a junk box class C amp with bad SWR input circuit...
Hopefully they did not destroy anything in the process.:(
ICOM main service center does not support that radio anymore...
Will not service and they do not carry parts either.:(
GL(y)
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: bob85
ICOM Amateur Radio, D-STAR, Avionics, Marine and Receiver Products (Non-Warranty)
Note: Because some OEM replacement parts are no longer available, some older ICOM products are no longer serviced. Please call if you have any questions about available service of any ICOM product.

http://sarts1.com/

IF Matt won't work on it, possibility nobody will!
GL
All the Best
Gary

coming off the ACC board J8 it goes to the PA I believe, I found this wire not connected to the PA Board. Does anyone know were it ties in on the PA Board?

If I am seeing correctly, that single wire connector J8 ... goes the the Reg Unit T8...way it looks to me in the service manual

Tough to follow with that diagram broke up the way it is...
But looking at the PA or REG boards I can not see a T8 listed on either?
Sorry tough to see without radio or pasting together the connection diagram:(

I just noticed I have no output on CW. Using the transmit button on the front, I don’t have a CW key.

381D0277-B75D-4459-9FA1-13704872FD70.jpeg
EE982676-3376-4B55-BBBF-3E3CF36E478C.jpeg
Can you post some pictures of the board, that may help.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.