• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom IC-7410 export radio arrives. Its long, its heavy.

I use Eham as a general guideline to get a feel of what something is like and for any issues I should look for more intently however I always use several more sites before making up my mind.

Well said! that's generally what I read reviews for on anything I'm interested in. I have found that the issues found by reviewers on items that I was interested were correct.

I have posted a few reviews on Eham myself and tried to be as comprehensive and truthful about an item and I how I use it within the context of my mobile or base station.

For Mudfoot to call 90% of the reviewer "idiots" is totally out of line.

most issues with e-ham origionate with the owner, he will not allow a negative review of "certain" brands, perhaps because they are advertizers on his site.

negative reviews are often deleted from his site.

comments made by reviewers are altered and made to appear that the poster said them, when in fact the site owner changed them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFQQFjAJahUKEwjlidPCt-nFAhWUWowKHX57AO8&url=http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-99057.html&ei=kKhpVeWBFpS1sQT-9oH4Dg&usg=AFQjCNGZA4OxxwONVazgbVSOWklwv12R6w

here are comments made by actual posters on that site about their comments being altered/deleted.

That can be the case in some instances because all reviews submitted don't post right away and are subject to review from EHam.

But, I have read plenty of reviews that bash MFJ products ( and rightfully so) and read plenty of negative comments on the big 3 radio manufactures.

I have posted some reviews and haven't had any editing done to mine even on a product that I felt was inferior.

My guess is some people might go too far with there negativity or even language so there review is either edited or deleted.

The same thing happens on this forum and probably any other website forums too. Clearly that is suppressing free speech and even free press in the interest of others in both case wouldn't you say?

I've never had any of my reviews edited or removed either but then again I don't indulge in bashing in the reviews forum. Since I'm not an engineer, electronics or communications professional my reviews are mostly non-technical. I'l comment on ease of operation, control layout and serviceability most of the time.

Back to the TS-590SG....It has great eHam reviews especially concerning the receiver and receive audio. In addition the Sherwood Engineering receiver test data for the 590SG seems to back up the anecdotal reviews.

Think about it, whats the best band to properly test a receiver. CB is the perfect band to test out those fancy components designed to fight QRM.
40m or 80m are far better bands.

On another note. How come so many 10 meter radios sell but when you go to 10 meters its dead.

Because its summer and other than a bit of sporadic E you don't get much DX on 10m. Come back in the middle of October and tell us 10m is dead. Come back on the last weekend in October when the CQ-WW contest is on and let us know if you managed to actually find any empty space on 10m.

Back to the TS-590SG....It has great eHam reviews especially concerning the receiver and receive audio. In addition the Sherwood Engineering receiver test data for the 590SG seems to back up the anecdotal reviews.

I still think the 590 is a very good rig for the money, and don't think you can go wrong buying one. I have not been able to compare the SG model to the FTDX1200/3000, but was able to with the older 590S. I liked the receiver on the Yaesu much more than the Kenwood. Using DSP, no DSP, keeping it apples to apples, the Yaesu had a much lower noise floor, and I could hear the down in the weeds signals much easier. I know what the specs say, but I also know what my ears hear. I also didn't like the small size of the 590, but that's just me, too. If you can, go to a store where you can actually compare them back to back (like HRO).

Brett

I still think the 590 is a very good rig for the money, and don't think you can go wrong buying one. I have not been able to compare the SG model to the FTDX1200/3000, but was able to with the older 590S. I liked the receiver on the Yaesu much more than the Kenwood. Using DSP, no DSP, keeping it apples to apples, the Yaesu had a much lower noise floor, and I could hear the down in the weeds signals much easier. I know what the specs say, but I also know what my ears hear. I also didn't like the small size of the 590, but that's just me, too. If you can, go to a store where you can actually compare them back to back (like HRO).

Brett

I'd like to compare a few new rigs side by side but the closest retailer to me would be AES Milwaukee at 258 miles away. Maybe in July when I'm taking a stay at home vacation. You heard better results with the Yaesu but a few of the reviews I've read with side by side testing had the 590SG coming out ahead with noise floor and weak signals. It's all so subjective.

I'd like to compare a few new rigs side by side but the closest retailer to me would be AES Milwaukee at 258 miles away. Maybe in July when I'm taking a stay at home vacation. You heard better results with the Yaesu but a few of the reviews I've read with side by side testing had the 590SG coming out ahead with noise floor and weak signals. It's all so subjective.

Yep, like I said before... :) I talk to a fella regularly that sounds fantastic on his 590SG. He loves it, and this guy buys/trades rigs a lot. From Flex's, Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, whatever, seems everytime I talk to him he's on a different rig. He really seems to like the SG though, and he likes the receiver a lot too. That's saying something from a guy that has used a Flex, Kenwood 990, Icom 756 Pro, etc.

Brett

.... Clearly that is suppressing free speech and even free press in the interest of others in both case wouldn't you say?

No, I wouldn't say that at all, its his site to do with as he wants to, but, by the same line of thought, I don't have to believe what I see there to be completely truthful.

I used to be a big Icom fan. I was leaning towards the Yaesu FTDX-1200 or 3000 but after doing a lot of researching I'm finding the Kenwood TS-590SG is the better rig in it's price range.

Got one coming tomorrow. I missed my old S model. I'm very interested in playing with the receive antenna jack.

LOL,

Yep, got one the other day. I've been using the Rsp1a for around a year. I really enjoy it. I actually use it more for AM/FM reception. I got a couple of the cheaper units to dabble in P25 and Public Safety DMR. I keep running into issues. My goal is to sell locally as a package for people to listen to our County fire/EMS and popo. Much cheaper than buying a scanner.

I didn't know the 590SG had that capability when it cameras out. So I'm definitely going to use it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.