• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom IC-9100 630 meter mod

Tommills

Nov 9, 2017
I'm looking for a mod to open up the transmit on the IC-9100. I have a mod that opens up the radio from .1-60 MHz, but the radio will not modulate or output power below 1600 KHz. The red tx light comes on above 100 KHz just no output. Thanks for any help, trying to get on 630 meter band 472 KHz.

Tom

I don't think that radio will generate RF that low. Only a few modern amateur radios will actually generate RF that low and most of them require modifications to the output filters to work. Some cut off via CPU programming at 1600 KHz while others will produce about 100 watts at 1600 KHz and roll off sharply below that.

Wait a minute...............:confused:(n) What radio are you talking about? Icom radios are IC-xxxx series and Kenwoods are TS-xxxx series but you said an Icom TS-xxxx. Is it a Kenwood or an Icom?

It will be interesting to see what comes out new equipment wise for the addition of these new bands, plus the 70cm band may be just around the corner here in the states,
I have heard ICOM has a software upgrade in the making for the 70cm band.
The radio is ready for that band. ( IC-9100 and IC-7100 and the're may be others)
I wonder however on the transmit filter boards, if any of the present equipment has the ability to pass the new VLF bands? I have heard no info in that regard as of yet.
I am thinking we will see a whole wave of transverters to make this work, in the interim..
Guess we will see.
All the Best
Gary

TOM: Have you received your UTC and FCC certifications yet for those bands?
I have yet to hear any have been issued.

Last edited:
To operate on 2200 or 630 meters, amateurs must first register with the Utilities Technology Council online at https://utc.org/plc-database-amateur-notification-process/. You need only register once for each band.

2200 Meters

General, Advanced, Amateur Extra licensees:

135.7-137.8 kHz: CW, Phone, Image, RTTY/Data

1 W EIRP maximum

Antenna Height and size restrictions also apply to these new bands

630 Meters

General, Advanced, Amateur Extra licensees:

472-479 kHz: CW, Phone, Image, RTTY/Data

5 W EIRP maximum, except in Alaska within 496 miles of Russia where the power limit is 1 W EIRP.

http://www.wd8das.net/630mPractical.pdf

http://www.eham.net/articles/40325

It appears that the first approval letters from the Utilities Technology Council (UTC) – which must sign off on notices that individual hams intend to use the bands – arrived on October 13, and some stations immediately got on the air. Amateurs wishing to use these bands must notify UTC and wait until an approval letter is received or until 30 days go by with no response before getting on the air.

Copied from this link: http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.in/

Last edited:
I'm looking for a mod to open up the transmit on the IC-9100. I have a mod that opens up the radio from .1-60 MHz, but the radio will not modulate or output power below 1600 KHz. The red tx light comes on above 100 KHz just no output. Thanks for any help, trying to get on 630 meter band 472 KHz.

Tom
It will be interesting to see what comes out new equipment wise for the addition of these new bands, plus the 70cm band may be just around the corner here in the states,
I have heard ICOM has a software upgrade in the making for the 70cm band.
The radio is ready for that band. ( IC-9100 and IC-7100 and the're may be others)
I wonder however on the transmit filter boards, if any of the present equipment has the ability to pass the new VLF bands? I have heard no info in that regard as of yet.
I am thinking we will see a whole wave of transverters to make this work, in the interim..
Guess we will see.
All the Best
Gary

TOM: Have you received your UTC and FCC certifications yet for those bands?
I have yet to hear any have been issued.

Thanks Gary. I sent in the UTC request 2 months ago, nothing heard. I'm past the 30 day window. My TS990 puts out 0 dbm so I'm working on a amplifier to get up to the 5 watts EIRP. Antenna is almost complete, 300' inverted L. I will calculate EIRP when completed.

Tom
Caption should read IC-9100 not TS. :cautious:

OK I edited the tread title to read IC-9100.

OK Gottcha. I was looking at the TS-9100 from Kenwood. Check out this link. http://www.worldwidedx.com/attachments/ic-9100_mars_cap_and_others-pdf.8042/
It appears that you want the Band 3 modification at the top of the page. Remove D1502 and D1508 and add D1503

Band 3 mod is the one that I did on the radio, but below 1600 KHz no power out. The tx light comes on so I guess the filters won't let it pass. From 1.6 - 60 mhz it's open and will transmit. I could be over looking something. BTW D1503 was already installed.
Thanks for the title edit!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated