• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom ID-51 Anniv Edition Rx Mod Help

RobD

Feb 18, 2016
Hi Guys,

I have done the mod step by step as per the instructions and have event checked my work over 10 times now.

Everytime I try to transmit it get the "OFF BAND" error - I have programmed the SD card to the frequencies I want.

Can anyone give me some tips and pointers? Please?

I didn't use his "break" the resistor method, I used a small fine tip solder iron and the mod worked fine,, you must have something still making contact on the board

have you tried just going into VFO mode and transmitting??

Last edited:
Reactions: RobD
I didn't use his "break" the resistor method, I used a small fine tip solder iron and the mod worked fine,, you must have something still making contact on the board

have you tried just going into VFO mode and transmitting??
IMG_8068.JPG

So this is what my Radio looks like. as you can see I have removed the 2 resistors yet I am still having the problem :(

Not quite sure why.

anyway you can get a clean focused pic of just the 2 spots that the resistors were?? hard to see when I expand that pic, you might need a magnifying glass and make sure your solder didn't flow where its not supposed to be

anyway you can get a clean focused pic of just the 2 spots that the resistors were?? hard to see when I expand that pic, you might need a magnifying glass and make sure your solder didn't flow where its not supposed to be

IMG_8070.JPG

Managed to take this pic with a macro lens for my iphone. does this help?

looks like a lot of solder splatter still on the board,, id try to clean it up,, other than that I really don't know

I have literally cleaned it up as best as I can, still nothing :( I wonder what on earth it could be.

I have tried VFO mode and still the dreaded "OFF BAND"

It won't transmit at all or does it appear just that the mod didn't work?

One thing I can see from your better picture is that you ether had a lot of heat or a large tip on your soldering unit which caused at least come superficial damage to D1 and D2. Did you have the correct type of soldering station to do the work? You need a very fine tip and low heat for those tiny components. Not sure what D1 and D2 do or what issue there would be if those two components were damaged. You really have to be careful working on smt.

I watched a video of the mod and the guy just flicked the two diodes off the board with a small screwdriver.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated