• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom ID-5100 Bluetooth capabilities: Real technology progress in Ham Radio

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
It's likely that the long time readers of my ham radio articles have come across one of my rants about the incorporation of modern connectivity solutions between radios and computers. In a nutshell, I've often griped about the reluctance of manufacturers to embrace bluetooth as a viable means for programming, connecting, controlling, and audio interfacing with radios. In the last couple of years, we've seen some significant progress in this area; Icom has emerged as a leader in this functionality. I recently acquired the bluetooth module for my Icom ID-500 and updated the firmware to get all of the latest benefits. I initially thought that the only benefit would be to use bluetooth mic/headsets with the rig, but I was wrong. Here are a few highlights of what else I've uncovered so far.

Installing the bluetooth module opens up several new related menus. Pairing the device to your PC or headset is simple. This picture shows the ID-5100 paired with both my PC and my Mac. Note that you can only connect to one device at a time:

4034-1459922038-63a46168a364848ceabaa233a76731ce.jpg

Once paired, you can set the function of the bluetooth device that you've connected to. Note the options for both headset use, as well as a data device over bluetooth:

4035-1459922041-a452f29b265e6481ab86e0b23913342f.jpg

This screen shows the selection that worked for me to connect the ID-5100 to Ham Radio Deluxe on my PC. In addition to CI-V (Echo Back ON), the other choices are CI-V (Echo Back OFF) and DV Data. The CI-V choices are for rig control, while the DV Data is used for applications such as D-RATS.

4036-1459922043-886cbb4748f9feab12050032b95f215c.jpg

For the tech nerds, this screen shows you the supported profiles / capabilities of the rig with bluetooth installed, HFP - Hand's Free Profile, HSP = Head Set Profile, SPP = Serial Port Profile.

4033-1459922035-bce4a1eecb31d789e922a991b6547643.jpg

As you can see from the above image, the device is quite capable. Because of the serial port capabilities, you can use the bluetooth interface to program the radio using the Icom CS-5100 software. I've only tested programming the radio using that application, but any software that is looking for a serial port should work (no more wires!). I don't believe that you can reliably update the firmware over bluetooth - the rig has a specific sequence that must be followed to apply firmware updates. I'm hesitant about trying something that might brick the radio, so I've decided to not attempt to find out if firmware updates via bluetooth will work.

I really like that this radio supports a modern PC connection, but remember that Icom has also released Android apps that interface with the rig, as well. Hopefully in the near future, this will be a standard feature just like the incorporated SD Card slot and will no longer require an additional accessory purchase. Until then, I plan to keep exploring the possibilities with my bluetooth-enabled ID-5100 and having fun.

Reactions: Jay Mojave

Have you tried packet, APRSdroid, and/or sending microphone/speakers over bluetooth?

If so, seems like quite a few possibilities open up with the integration of maps, digital modes, packet, and a nice touch screen interface.

I just purchased a Yaesu FT-920 and I am involved in organizations that require out of band acccess. I am looking for a member/members that I can find out how to accomplish opening up this radio. I have tried the Yaesu recommended procedure and am having trouble getting it to work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ron WA6JFZ

ft-920_mars_cap_mod.jpg
Here's a link to the MARS/CAP mod for this radio.

https://www.mods.dk/view.php?Articl...MARS-CAP-modification-for-the-American-FT-920

And if it says you have to sign up first, or buy a membership, here's what they say:

Remove top and bottom cover.
Remove DSP unit and remove or cut green wire that connected between R2544 and Q2510. See the picture shown in below.
Replace DSP unit.
Press and hold STEP and LOCK buttons and POWER ON.
Enter 1 9 8 4 1 2 9 then press ENT.
Test the radio for correct operation.
Turn the radio off and replace top and bottom cover.
The modification is now completed.

There is a grubby-looking graphic under the text. It's supposed to show this circuit board, but I don't see any reference to the green wire.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.