• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom ID-880H: Thoughts/Opinions?

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Was ready to buy one new toy this year. So, I thought that adding the digital dimension to my shack/mobile might be money wisely spent. Have any of you used or owned this unit? I understand that they had a mic problem; did Icom straighten that out yet? Does the audio work well in analog as well as digital? Is the menu a pain in the butt? Is D-STAR difficult to program and operate?

ProductHeader.jpg

GigaParts sells it for around $400 plus $50 for the software/cable

Every opinion is important.
Pros/cons?

Not going to buy unless there is enough positive feedback. Eham seems to like it - except for the mic - once again. It will also require the software package and cable to make it effective.

Any thoughts/opinions welcome.

I have the 880H and its a pretty nice little radio. I am sure you have watched the youtube videos already on this radio. It is a little harder to manually program than the 2820. I have both radios and I like them both. If your getting the RT Systems software you will not have any problems programming it.

Keep in mind if you have not been on D Star before you will need to register with you local D Star repeater gateway. Only register on 1 gateway. If you have trouble when you register please e mail the gateway admin, Dont try another gateway.

D star has a bit of a learning curve but if you have some local guys to help you it will be easy.

I dont think you can go wrong with the 880H, Its a nice little radio.

Not sure what mic problem you are talking about. The PTT switch seems to be the weak spot on the HM-133 mic. I have had one fail but the repair was easy. Bought a new better switch and replaced it.

I just picked one up myself and really just using it over the last few days. No one that I talk to on analog 2m has made any comments about my audio so I guess I still sound the same as always. Right now I'm using an eBay cable that I got for $18 and CHIRP. CHIRP could be better but it works and its free. I'm on the fringes of two DSTAR repeaters so I just change the antenna out from the quarter wave to a 5/8 (2m). Long term I will have to find a dual band antenna if I want to take advantage of 440.

Reactions: 1 person
Still no problems with the mic. Guess I still sound like my usual FM voice.

One thing I noticed today is that the radio stays pretty cool even on 50 watts. My "local" DSTAR repeaters are pretty far away so I run full power most of the time. I stuck my hand to the back and it wasn't even warm.

I like my 880H. No issues with audio on FM. I heard some folks had issues with the "thin" sound on FM. I've not had any issues with that. Everyone says my audio sounds good and I've heard my audio on another radio through a repeater. No issues. Enjoy!

Depends on your input to the repeater. People tell me I have the tin sound and I'm 35 miles away. Stations inside 20 miles sound great. The digital side is great. Buy a used one with the cable. Software is free. Thinking of selling mine. I doubt I have 2 hours on it. No plans for a repeater near me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just sold a few things in the shack and was looking to go with the 880 also. Robb did you buy one ? I was thinking about it and also a TNC for packet, aprs I have a dual band vertical and coax already up and waiting. Never did the D-star thing before! it does spark an interest.

Just sold a few things in the shack and was looking to go with the 880 also. Robb did you buy one ? I was thinking about it and also a TNC for packet, aprs I have a dual band vertical and coax already up and waiting. Never did the D-star thing before! it does spark an interest.

Not yet; but probably will if I can get a cool used deal w/software and cable.

I am looking at a new dual band rig myself and realy like the new Yaesu FTM400dr and wonder what direction to go D-star or C4FM FDMA why can't there be a standard. Don't want to spend more than 400.00 for any radios at this time.

I am looking at a new dual band rig myself and realy like the new Yaesu FTM400dr and wonder what direction to go D-star or C4FM FDMA why can't there be a standard. Don't want to spend more than 400.00 for any radios at this time.

Would that not depend on the repeaters near you?
I do not think there are enough users to keep up more than one digital system.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated