• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

icom v82 or baofeng gt3

Jul 7, 2013
bucyrus ohio
baofeng gt3 any body got one yet and if so how do you like it ?? not sure if I want to get a icom ic v82 or a baofeng gt3 my uv5r is ok but I thing it needs a better antenna I only use iy on murs and 2 metter any input thanks

until proven otherwise I will continue to assume the GT3 is nothing more then a re-packaged UV-5R. As that being the case the v-82 is a much better radio (and I own and like the uv-5r).

the uv 5r is a ok radio too I would like to find a better antenna that is not twice the size of the radio I put a diamond rh771 on it but its too big for the radio all the antennas for it ar twice the size of the radio

I have reviewed all of these models -- and many more. If this will be your first radio, I would go for the UV-82 also.

Pros

• Big, professional looking radio, dual PTT key is located where it should be,
  • Better overall performance thanks to more efficient stock antenna
  • One Watt of extra power output on both bands (5 Watts VHF, 4 Watts UHF),
  • Display located where it should be, doesn’t go dark after long transmissions,
  • Better designed keyboard with the 0 (zero) in the right place,
  • Better RX audio thanks to the bigger enclosure (improved acoustics),
  • No issues with muffled or low TX audio,
  • Battery life as good as all other UV-5R varieties

Cons

• Poorly designed charger. If you buy a UV-82, be prepared to fix it from the moment you pull it out of the box. It’s an easy job, click here to find out why and how.
  • Front-end just as poor as the other two, which means that the receiver overloads quickly. If you need a better receiver, buy a Baofeng UV-B5/B6.
  • New and/or after-market batteries are often labeled and advertised incorrectly. Whatever the label says or whatever the seller says, the battery is 1800mAh, not 2800mAh.

Hans

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.