• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ID Numbers

Welcome to the forums, Striper!!
The numbers come from your inner self. Yes Sir, you decide what numbers you'd like to use, and use them. The other part of the ssb call sign, if you choose so, is to separate yourself from someone else who may be using the same numbers. Your personal ID, so to speak. For instance, I'm 226 west Texas. There are other 226's out there but I'm 226 west Texas. You can use whatever you like. Location, name, handle etc.. And you really don't need to use numbers at all. Just use what you're comfortable with but make it unique to yourself.
I hope this helps. There are some great people on here who are always willing to help with whatever questions you may have and some will definitely give you their recommendation on this question.
And again, welcome to the forums!!

What Brother DXer said. Pick the numbers you want, although you may want to listen for awhile so you don't end up with another locals numbers. Mine came from the displacement of the motorcycle I ride. I'm "1340 Nebraska" or "1340 Nebraska Mobile" when I'm in the Exploder.

Reactions: Brother DXer
Glad to help. I use several mobile units as a base station and they work great! I also have a couple of base stations as well. I don't think it matters what you are taking on, as long as it works and you're enjoying it.

Reactions: Eldorado828
One more thing. Occasionally we will have contests for forum members. To be in the contests, you'll need your unique WDX-number. I checked the list and 794 is available. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and request this number now, while it is available. Here's a link to that thread. Go to the end of the thread and request the numbers from binrat. He updates every few weeks or so.
Thread 'WDX Roster' https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/wdx-roster.28909/

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
New to the SSB hobby. Noticing that a three digit number is used in addition to "handle". (ie:. 555 moondog). Where does that number originate?
Welcome Striper, I talked to you last night. Great to see you signed up, I am on the other side of town from you.

My numbers were pulled out of thin air, haha! I had a radio hooked up for a while and just listened at first. Found some of the local guys and was talking to Big Mouth (RIP). He asked me what my handle was, but I didn't have one. After long awkward silence, I looked around me trying to get a quick idea. I saw a part number that had 808 in it, so that is what I said. And the rest is history. Lol

Reactions: Brother DXer
That was a great idea. This site is great, I've been learning a lot. Can't wait to set up a base station. My wife is at Eden Hill rehab center, (cancer complications) so I spend every day with her. I tune in to ch 38 during my lunch break and check out the site while she naps. Once home, I'll be her primary caregiver and can spend a bit of time DX'ing during down time since my "garage time" will be nixed for some time. Hope to catch you on air again soon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.