• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Idaho QSO party and my antennas

Alan Blackmon

Apr 11, 2017
Boise Idaho
I decided to put up a 40 meter inverted V to compare to my 40 meter quarterwave vertical antenna I have built. I really was expecting more from the inverted V but compared to my vertical It was deaf. The only signals I could get off the inverted V had to be really strong. Well there wasn't many of those signals. The quarterwave vertical beat it every time.

To be fair my house seems to put off a lot of RFI. I think that the inverted V was being so overwhelmed with the noise of my various appliances that like the sing the body electric. I have taken my broadcast band AM radio around the house and put it near various electronics and found them to be serious noise toys.

Now my vertical is put out as far as I can from the house and the noise level is still there but distance has quieted things down drastically compared to the much closer inverted V.

I did make a few contacts on 20 meters. A few were made in Idaho. Several others were out of state. Kansas and Texas were pretty strong for me here in Boise Idaho. My reports back from them were very favorable. My station is a Yeasu 450D with stock mic. 100 watts out to the vertical. Feed point of the vertical is 10 feet high. The vertical is a multi bander. There are 4 vertical elements with corresponding radials. So this antenna will do 40/20/15/10. I have been very happy with its performance. I don't have room for towers and beams. The vertical is hidden in a tree in the corner of the lot and has been a lot of fun to use.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.