• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ideal antenna for living in a hole

Jeremy: Sorry for delay here also getting back.
I am not totally surprised that the Comet antenna is as you say quieter than the dipole. I would think it's due to the dipole doing a better job...so this being said, your noise floor will increase somewhat due to better efficiency(IMHO). The key is on transmit.
I am willing to think the dipole on 20 and 40m is going to out preform the vertical, 75% of the time. Conditions can make the vertical useful also at times. I do however, just from my own experience think the dipole at almost the same height, under most band conditions will get you a better report. Having both antennas is a plus though,and over time, I think you'l find the conditions in which both have their pro/cons.
I really don't think anything you did construction wise is affecting your performance. The dipole is tuning very close. You could "tweek" a little but even 1.8/1 is quite acceptable.
Your not going to see any substantial improvement in performance knocking yourself silly trying to get what some believe is the "perfect 1:1 match"
IMHO the key to tuning is to look a the "X"( or some call "J" factor) on your analyser.
You want to see X= 0! Then you have the antenna resonant. Then you should see a 40-70 Ohm impedance range. Then QUIT...it is working!
The fan dipole will tend to react between bands, changing one band may affect another.
The key is finding the "sweet spot" for all of them. I have had the best luck, starting with the upper bands first and working down in frequency...I. E. start with 10m...then 20m etc...
Then get your lowest last. Then check to see if the other bands were affected, and most likely they may somewhat. However how much?...Did it take them totally out of range or just change slightly, will be the question. This is a process, for getting it best on all the bands you have.
Changing the feedpoint angle will affect it also. Don't drop the whole antenna retune, then move it back to normal location. You need to have it back to normal location after each adjustment...PAIN yes, but it will have an effect. That's where having pulleys and or ropes set in such a way, so as you make adjustments you return the antenna to normal location after each adjustment. Then check what happened.
Hope this makes sense.
Keep us here updated as you go. Many here to help
All the Best
Gary

PS: I do have some other antenna ideas, however let's go with where your at for now, and see where it leads. 73 GL

The CHA-250B, in practical terms, is a dummy load: presents a resistive ~50 ohm impedance and radiates a bit of the signal that's not lost as heat. Reminiscent of the "Maxx-Com" antenna of 50 or so years ago. They both "work", but with terribly low efficiency.

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.