• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Identifying 5 element yagi (direct feed)

Krusen1

Oct 11, 2021
Picked up a 5 element direct feed yagi for 11m (thats what I was told anyway)recently and am hoping to identify it. I'm assuming its an older one judging by the condition and lack of a matching section commonly found on modern yagi's, maybe 70s or 80s? Its got a 20 ft boom of 2in aluminum tube,stamped aluminum brackets. Not sure if it came with support cable originally or not as there are no provisions for any. Any ideas,guesses,info,manuals,etc would be greatly appreciated.
20211202_230633.jpg
Back looking forward
20211202_234024.jpg
Reflector
20211202_230643.jpg
Driven element (direct feed dipole) need to fix. It had a rusty outlet box for so-239 and wires.
20211202_233932.jpg
Mast mount for horizontal polarity (no hardware on it, laying flat on ground) director#1
20211202_234038.jpg
Front, director#3

Reactions: freecell

Agreed Dmans and hygain...especially the element holders.
I dont recall that boom bracket..that would have been a "sure confirmation" perhaps some online old picuters ?

Ps...though mosley/mfj did cross my mind.
They all are not that familair in EU (especially the "old" ones).

As far as i know ... in that periode...non were direct fed. (Im rather certain).

That leans to :
Must be a "home made" adjustment.
Which isnt a bad thing ...at all..
If u have the tapper of the elements and position...
Im sure there are those who can provide sizes to make it working !

Regards H.

Last edited:
The pictures below are of the boom to mast clamp from my own Hygain LJ-113 10 meter 3 element beam I put up about 6 years ago. This set up lasted less than a week and was replaced with a 1/4" thick 8"x8" Aluminum plate and proper U-Clamps with saddles. No twisting of the boom at the junction of the boom tubing. I also added a 3' aluminum tube inside the 2 sections of original boom tubing. I was very skeptical of the element to boom clamps (also stamped sheet metal) but so far they have held up very well.
Hygainmastclamp1.jpg
Hygainmastclamp2.jpg
David

Reactions: tecnicoloco
It does have a Hy-gain flavor about it. Boom length is not the same (20ft 6in vs 24ft on the Hj-105c) I looked at that Hy-gain 1110db (what a monster!! love to have one!) that freecell suggested and the 2in crossboom to 2in boom looks the same, the one I have here is 2in boom on 1 1/2in mast/crossboom, and the booms on the 1110db are 18ft and reduces from 2in to 1 1/4in. 20211203_213739.jpg
There are 2 bolts that run through
ends of the boom halfs to keep them from twisting in the bracket. The mast can run through the bracket which is ok, makes running support cable/rope easier. Just slide boom down till its flat and clamp it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated