• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If I turn down the DK power, will that misalign the radio?

Brian521

Apr 30, 2020
My chair
I have a stock 980 SSB and want to get a KL 203p but I see where many people say not to put more than 1, 2 or 3 watts in the 203p.

I believe I know how to turn down the DK watts but don't want to misalign the radio by doing so.

Just turning the AM deadkey down will not mis align the radio. Just make sure you went down and not up by using a real watt meter. And the pot is small.

a few posts on here with pictures for the 980. Try the search thing and I'm sure you'll find it.

Speaker wire is short. Don't rip it out.

I have a stock 980 SSB and want to get a KL 203p but I see where many people say not to put more than 1, 2 or 3 watts in the 203p.

I believe I know how to turn down the DK watts but don't want to misalign the radio by doing so.
Welcome! The 980 and 203 combination is hard to beat. Check out the wireless microphone too. I think I turned my radio down to 1/2 watt dead key to get a 25 watt dead key out of the amp. I ended up putting a fan on mine.

Thank you for the help!

I'm glad I found this site. So much useful information here and the community seems to be full of good people.

To be clear, in order to run the KL 203p I need to turn down the AM Power only. Is this correct or do I need to adjust something else too?

As for a "real watt meter" - I was planning to grab one from a local truck stop. They are about the same price on Amazon / E-bay.

s-l640.jpg

Would this do?

Sorry if I am dumping too many questions at once. I just want to do it right the first time. ;-)

Thank you for the help!

I'm glad I found this site. So much useful information here and the community seems to be full of good people.

To be clear, in order to run the KL 203p I need to turn down the AM Power only. Is this correct or do I need to adjust something else too?

As for a "real watt meter" - I was planning to grab one from a local truck stop. They are about the same price on Amazon / E-bay.

s-l640.jpg

Would this do?

Sorry if I am dumping too many questions at once. I just want to do it right the first time. ;-)
Turning the power down to keep from heating up the amp too quickly is the biggest thing. You could also turn up the AM modulation a little, but you would need a modulation meter or an oscilloscope to keep from turning it up too far.

Just turning the AM deadkey down will not mis align the radio. Just make sure you went down and not up by using a real watt meter. And the pot is small.

a few posts on here with pictures for the 980. Try the search thing and I'm sure you'll find it.

Speaker wire is short. Don't rip it out.

Or someone about a 1/4 mile away giving you
feedback as you turn up the modulation... Obviously not as accurate as a meter but a human ear can at least tell you exactly how it sounds.

Best advice?

Get someone there to help work alongside you to cover all the bases...

When you "adjust" AM power? You affect the S/RF meter and AMC - doesn't do much else - if you turn down the radio's output power - your AM power - The radio will not always display your output power correctly - if that doesn't bother you, then proceed.

AMC works off of AM power - if you turn down the power AMC tends to go up a little - not much but a little - best not to adjust that until you've had a chance to put the amp thru its paces working with the 980 then decide...

ALC? That's for SSB, you might want to look on those meters while you check the SSB output into a dummy load on the ANT jack of that meter. This way, when you adjust ALC - 8 watts is MORE than enough power for that little amp. Then connect the amp - and again, using SSB mode, see if heating will be a problem for you and it. If it gets Too hot, back off ALC a little more to help the amp "breathe".

In any case, to prolong the life of your radio, your amp and pretty much any and all of YOUR equipment - keep it conservative as much as you can. There's always a bigger fish, and another day to catch it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.