• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If I was going to Buy a new 40 ch CB with SSB

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
I would get the Galayy DX-979 this radio rocks. I cant say a bad thing about it. Mine was tuned also open clairifer. for the price I paid It's hard to beat. no drift after warm up. great on the ears also. for the price It would be hard to beat. The DX-94HP would be a next buy for me.

Reactions: 1 person

I would get the Galayy DX-979 this radio rocks. I cant say a bad thing about it. Mine was tuned also open clairifer. for the price I paid It's hard to beat. no drift after warm up. great on the ears also. for the price It would be hard to beat. The DX-94HP would be a next buy for me.

I love mine and wouldn't replace it if someone paid me to do it. ;) It's a great CB!

Good to hear somebody likes them in SSB. With the open clarifier, you'll tune your transmit right into the frequency they're talking. Hopefully they're on frequency. Those radios really do sound mic in SSB and of course on AM.

CbRadiosPRONTO

Some say yes open the clairifer some say no way I have the external freq counter with 6 digits and the receive and transmit must match. Never had a complaint.

After all you have done Robb, would you recommend one of these radios knowing what you know?? Just curious. I would think for a little extra, there are a few radios that seems to work well on ssb and AM. The uniden 980, no power house, but is a clean sounding radio. The magnum 257, or the optima mk3 , and the 2950dx seem to be all good radios for both am and ssb use. The 980 needs a bit of a boost sometimes, but it is a great radio for the price IMO. Look around and you may find them for 120-140. Add a small amp if wanted and voila, you have a radio that is rock solid on ssb and will work well. Been using one as a base for a bit, and it doesn't drift and is on frequency from the time I turn it on until I turn it off. Same for the magnum 257hp, used one in the cold and never had any issues. Could be lucky but I have 3 of them and all worked great. Now I run the optima mk3 and it does well in my mobile. Made many contacts with it. Well built as well. Couldn't believe how well the inside of the radio was built. Yeticom got this one right IMO. But anyway, if you are happy with the galaxy, that is all that matters!!! Have fun dx'ing and hope to talk to you soon again Grogan. God bless.

If you like the 979, then it's silly not to take the 959 and get the frequency counter. The P1 P2 Channel mod is ridiculously easy and then you have the freq. counter to tell you where you are instead of having to keep a channel chart around all the time.

Does that exist?
Sure; depends what you expect with a radio. The Uniden 980 - while anemic I'll admit - is still a fine radio - all in. There is the Uniden Grant LT or XL's if you can find some NOS. I'll admit that chance is pretty thin - though.

After all you have done Robb, would you recommend one of these radios knowing what you know?? Just curious. I would think for a little extra, there are a few radios that seems to work well on ssb and AM. The uniden 980, no power house, but is a clean sounding radio. The magnum 257, or the optima mk3 , and the 2950dx seem to be all good radios for both am and ssb use. The 980 needs a bit of a boost sometimes, but it is a great radio for the price IMO. Look around and you may find them for 120-140. Add a small amp if wanted and voila, you have a radio that is rock solid on ssb and will work well. Been using one as a base for a bit, and it doesn't drift and is on frequency from the time I turn it on until I turn it off. Same for the magnum 257hp, used one in the cold and never had any issues. Could be lucky but I have 3 of them and all worked great. Now I run the optima mk3 and it does well in my mobile. Made many contacts with it. Well built as well. Couldn't believe how well the inside of the radio was built. Yeticom got this one right IMO. But anyway, if you are happy with the galaxy, that is all that matters!!! Have fun dx'ing and hope to talk to you soon again Grogan. God bless.

If we are strictly talking about CB radios exclusively; then it looks a little grim. The Uniden 980 has a lot of limitations as far as modding goes; but for what it is - it does pretty well.

The Cobra 148GTL/front mic is inconsistent and breaks down for different reasons. Can be fixed to work well; but you will take your chances. That should not be the case, but it is.

If the drift issue on a Galaxy radio is cracked (it looks that might be; find out soon enough); then it would be at the top of the heap. Without that, it is kinduva beast. Fine for AM; lacking on SSB.

Last edited:
If I had to choose to get something brand new, I'd go with the Uniden 980.

I can put channels in, and open the clarifier, that wasn't too difficult. The difficult part for me is getting rid of that RD16HHF1 junk mosfet they use for a final in those radios. And there-in lies the problem.

Uniden chose that final because it takes extremely low input to drive the final to full output. By using this particular final, they were able to do away with one complete stage of the transmit section. If you notice, there's no driver in the radio at all, that stage is non-existent in the 980. It goes right from the pre-driver stage into the final stage. Cheap cheap and more cheap is why they did this, less parts, and simpler construction.

In my opinion, that's the only thing that is lacking in the radio. If someone could find a replacement for the RD16HHF1 they use, and get a few more watts PEP out of the radio, then I think we'd have a winner.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 3 people
If you like the 979, then it's silly not to take the 959 and get the frequency counter. The P1 P2 Channel mod is ridiculously easy and then you have the freq. counter to tell you where you are instead of having to keep a channel chart around all the time.

I can think if a few reasons just off the too of my head...

The mic jack is in the side
It's a big dx size radio
The frequency counter gives no advantage for cb radio frequencies (he did buy a cb)
He may like the blue lights

I really like the 979 as a cb radio. It actually has fantastic SSB audio.

One hand on the wheel and the other hand on the open clarifier. That's how you roll.

CbRadiosPRONTO

13 I totally agree, while it lacks in power, the 980 is a clean sounding radio on both Am and SSB. Receive is decent and for the money, it's a good little radio. Rock solid on ssb and believe it or not, mine was bought from a pilot truck stop while on sale and was dead on frequency ( transmit) that is. Used it in the mobile and now as a base radio, and it does well for me. My next radio will be a big step up though. No more exports or cb's for me. Have enough of those. Looking at the icom ic-7200. 1 month 2 days until my bday. Gotta save and work a little extra OT, but I will have one!! Anyway thanks for the replies and god bless.

I have the 959DX and don't want this to be a who's got the better radio but I also own a RCI built Cobra 148GTL and it just seems an overall better radio but I do love my 959 now that has been fixed "worked a week out of the box" and modded. I wish the 959 had the NB my Cobra 29Classic LTD had I ran before I replaced it with the 959. The frequency counter is such a great idea they had for when expanding your frequencies you know exactly where you are instantly and since my 959 is used as a mobile this is a must. The folks that are not into CB or have a very economical CB when they look at the 959DX find it intimidating.

If I had to choose to get something brand new, I'd go with the Uniden 980.

I can put channels in, and open the clarifier, that wasn't too difficult. The difficult part for me is getting rid of that RD16HHF1 junk mosfet they use for a final in those radios. And there-in lies the problem.

Uniden chose that final because it takes extremely low input to drive the final to full output. By using this particular final, they were able to do away with one complete stage of the transmit section. If you notice, there's no driver in the radio at all, that stage is non-existent in the 980. It goes right from the pre-driver stage into the final stage. Cheap cheap and more cheap is why they did this, less parts, and simpler construction.

In my opinion, that's the only thing that is lacking in the radio. If someone could find a replacement for the RD16HHF1 they use, and get a few more watts PEP out of the radio, then I think we'd have a winner.

~Cheers~

Out of curiosity, is the same true of the 880?

I just googled a picture of the 880, and it appears that it has a predriver stage, a driver stage, and a final stage. Interesting.

Looks like a C3202 for a predriver, a C2314 for a driver, and probably the RD16HHF1 for a final. I couldn't make out the final, but it could also possibly be a C2078 as well.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.