• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If Schwarzenegger were a CB - Gladiator

KOBO

Wood Butcher
Greetings

With the recent interest of a member here in buying one of these radios I took some photos for him, along with some other comparison shots for anyone who hasn't seen how freakishly big they are.

Most of us I am sure have seen vintage "mobile" radio's from the 50's & 60's that were big because of the technology of the time. Considering the advances in technology when this was made, there was no excuse here; the response you get when you pull this radio out is how you hope your girlfriend will react the first time you drop your pants.

It is about the same height as a KRIS XL-50....

12951755644_1bf5d4a182_z.jpg

And about as deep as a Magnum S3....

12951343835_16a35ab8fe_z.jpg

But it is when you look at it head on when you appreciate its shear size....

12951478793_1d4ff7af74_z.jpg

12951472423_d29f5fc194_z.jpg

12972192864_7f032fb6cc_z.jpg

My largest SSB radio along with my smallest.....

12951335955_a3dce5bcaa_z.jpg

Last edited:

Is yours the crystal rig or does it have the PLL chip?

I have the crystal rig. bought it brand new in the 70's. Still sits on my bench today. was a great performer in it's time. Uses a 1306 driving a 1307 final. Ran a pal VFO on it for years.

If "Schwarzenegger were a CB - Gladiator" I would run so fast away from CB radio that I'd set Olympic records! Where'd that come from?
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Greetings
how freakishly big they are

He wants if for a freakishly big van from the same era. These vans were hugely popular down here in the 70's (they were called "f*** trucks" or "**g wagons" at the time).

Not sure if you had the same van craze over there in the states, they were pimped up by getting lined with carpet, and had fancy light fittings, stereos, TV's, small refrigerator, CB set, and the obligatory double mattress. Common stickers / decals were "Don't laugh, your daughter is inside" and "if it's rockin', don't bother knockin".

He's restoring one to 70's condition and wants a 40 channel SSB rig for it, the bigger the better.

Any ideas on a price you want for it?

Loz!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.