• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If you regularly post articles on a forum, take note...

Don't worry, I'll try and keep it civil. :)

I am not hiding anything....
The owner of the forum never mentioned the lawsuit on his forum, and allowed me to sign onto the settlement at no charge, and I did sign a non-disclosure agreement..so I should betray his confidence in order to pacify you?

Oh, but you are hiding things. The posts you made are intentionally thin on several important points. Like exactly what material copyright you are accused of violating.

I never threatened to kick anyone's ass...I just mentioned that if you so easily can call someone stupid twice from the comfort of a keyboard, be careful when you go on the street, face to face many people aren't so charitable.

Thanks for your concern, but I am fully capable of protecting myself. Besides, if you are of the mindset that someone's mere words can be met with physical violence, then you are in for a very rude awakening one day, both physically and legally. Try explaining to a judge how "he called me stupid so I punched him" is any sort of excuse. On the contrary, the court will find any assault by you is criminal, and even the excessive force used by me against you is perfectly justified. Trust me, you don't want to go there.

I could really give a rats ass whether you believe me or not...by the way...Matt Drudge was also sued by Righthaven...he settled out of court for an undisclosed sum also.
pbwink.gif

Matt Drudge settles Righthaven copyright lawsuit - Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 | 7:30 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I'm going to believe you when you say you "summarized the story and quoted a few lines, and provided the link to the story," so I can only conclude that, just like Drudge in the Las Vegas Sun link you provided, you also reposted a picture that was owned by someone else. So you did in fact violate someone else's copyright.

In a situation like this, it's the details that are soooooooo important but people like to conveniently leave out. Instead they like to focus on the bad people who are persecuting them for no reason. For instance, if someone starts whining about how they were unjustly arrested for DUI, my first question is "What was your blood alcohol?" and then we go from there.

There is a huge amount of material posted online about other lawsuits that closely mirror what I am talking about happened to me...regardless, the post that generated the lawsuit no longer even exists and search engines with my name and Righthaven will only return the lawsuit, and none of the particulars of the supposed offense.

If you honestly did nothing wrong, then a suit like this has no merit whatsoever. Instead of paying the lowlife scum at Righthaven $5k, you (or the forum owner) should have given the $5k to an attorney as a retainer, the case would have been thrown out the first day, and the judge will award you damages plus legal fees. I know, because I've been there. Several years ago I was sued by Direct TV who accused me of pirating satellite signals. They were demanding I turn over all my equipment and pay $2,500. I told them to prove it. We went to trial, they couldn't prove it, one day later I had a settlement for legal fees and a few grand extra. I wasn't the only one to tell them to FOAD, and now they don't even bother to go after card unloopers and FTAers.

People who roll over and take a plea bargain or deal are guilty. Simple as that.

It does get my hackles up when called stupid and it is insinuated that I am a liar while the person gloats that I will get my financial come-uppance from the lawsuit, I am 50 years old also, and have spent my life raising my family where honesty and integrity are core values that should define oneself. I have always made it a point to match my online communication with face to face conversations, and that practice has served me well, not all people live by the same set of principles I reckon...

I never said you were a liar. Unless you consider intentionally omitting the most important facts of the story as lying. You know what they say, tell a half-truth and the leftover half is still a lie.

Let me tell you what happened here - you violated someone's copyrighted material, and you got nailed.

While I'm all for the owners protecting their copyrighted material, I think that Righthaven is going way too far. I think I've used the term "low life scum" more than a few times. But even though I don't like what they're doing, it is legal. And the sheer volumes of gross CUT&PASTE stupidity on most bulletin boards - especially gun boards - make it a target rich environment.

About this time many people here are probably asking themselves "Why is CroMagnum being such a dick? I mean, even more than usual?" I'll tell you why: this whole CUT&PASTE Stupidity is a kind of a sore point with me. And so are people who screw up and then claim to be the victim instead of taking responsibility for their actions.

I don't know what it is about gun owners that make them behave like drooling morons on internet forums and equate CUT&PASTE with intelligence, when the exact opposite is true. Hey, I'm a gun owner, a Life Member of the NRA, and also admin several gun-related mailing lists. And every single day some idiot is reposting some crap that they saw on a forum or someone shoved into their inbox. I call this crap "Gun List Spam" and regularly have to ban morons who repost it on my lists. If I can go to GlockTalk and ARFcom and see it on the first page, then it's already made the rounds and doesn't need to be reposted yet again.

And that brings us back to you. The reason Righthaven is having such a field day is this type of incessant CUT&PASTE Reposting is rampant all over the internet, and people are learning the hard way that they can't just repost other people's words and pictures without facing the consequences. Not only is it illegal, but it's stupid.

And that brings us back to you. You did something stupid, and now you're whining about it. And while you are fulfilling the role of Cautionary Tale quite effectively, don't even try to play the victim and claim big, bad Righthaven is persecuting retarded bloggers and nuns who run orphanages. Everybody who knuckles under to Righthaven did so because they were stupid and got caught.

Now let me state once again that I hope everyone at Righthaven dies a painful rectal cancer death. They are truly scum. But then again they are merely using the law against people who think they can act stupidly and not take any responsibility for their actions.

To tell you the truth, I'm having a really hard time caring either way. Just one tip, though - the next time you want to post a story about how you're being unjustly persecuted, give us all the details in the first post so we can decide for ourselves. It'll save us all a lot of time and typing.

PMSL,

worry about a lawsuit, dearie me, with some of the shit i post on forums i'm more concerned about being hung for high treason or having a cruise missile coming through my living room window.

apparently the cb bullsitters association has asked the fbi to replace the now deceased??? (i want proof, like a corpse would be a good start) osama bin laden with me at the top of the fbi's 10 most wanted people who did fuck all but tell the TRUTH.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.