• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If you're ever feeling a little stupid...

144inBama

Apr 22, 2020
Lower Alabama
Just join any Facebook CB group. I'm truly amazed at the level of misinformation people put out and will argue til the 2nd coming it's fact. You have people asking legitimate questions, mostly new to the hobby, and people telling them things that are cringe worthy such as: SSB is not AM because it has no carrier.... a Galaxy 959 is a 10 meter radio because it has SSB.... only Hams can legally talk on SSB...you set the SWR by the meter on the radio, not adjusting the antenna...those are the more mild ones.
I don't fault new folks for asking these questions, but there are people responding with this kind of "information" to beginners who ask for help and will argue up and down it's facts when you correct them. They'll even post material that contradicts what they're saying and then argue you're reading it wrong...LOL.
It makes it difficult to help someone out when you have people just repeating the same misinformation the OP is asking about.

I just joined the most popular CB groups on Facebook last weekend and definitely saw my fair share of this :) On the other side I did see a lot of people offering good advice as well, the hard part is for the newbie to know which advice to follow.

I will say, on the most popular forum the people posting questions are getting 40-50 replies so it's nice to see such a high level of people interested and responding on the pages. Makes you feel like the hobby is thriving!

And along those lines I'm seeing lots of posts from first time CB owners on there which is also encouraging. Seems like lots of people trying CB for the first time right now.

I've never been on Facebook and have zero desire to join "groups" there, but sounds no different than actually talking on CB radio. If you think back when CB had tons of local operator on all hours of the day / night, there was a ton of misinformation constantly spouted, I heard it all the time. Most wasn't malicious, more so ignorance / lack of knowledge, but bad advice was always a thing and some held strong with their beliefs, even from really nice operators that meant no harm; though honestly there is bad advice with anything in life involving a bunch of people, not just CB. I don't see why online would be an exception, only amplified being many more people. I learned over the years that you can try to offer good info, but some will never learn or will refuse to hear it, so best to just move on and not worry about them and focus on your own enjoyment of the hobby. Back when I did a lot of radio stuff, I loved working on radios, amps, building stuff etc., so I had zero care what others were arguing about or bad info, if I could offer corrections or solid info while chatting on the radio I would sometimes try, some would listen, but often falling on deaf ears.

I did just create a Facebook account to try and sell some bicycles and other stuff like that locally, but the marketplace layout / function doesn't seem very good, the search feature seems awful as well, I expected better having been hearing about it for a while now. Still, I have no desire to join any groups on there, just there to list some stuff for sale as Craigslist doesn't seem as active as it use to be.

No Facebook for me, quit cold turkey in 2013 and been clean since. Looks like it's about the same as it was then, many times loaded with lots of misinformation. Seems like anymore folks give their assumption or opinion as if it's a fact and it doesn't even have to be on Facebook. Years ago we had the typical radio Rambo behind the mic, now you have a smart device Rambo behind a screen.

" my Texas Star 500v does 950 watts when I drive it with 100 watts"

" I dead key my Texas Star 350 at 300 watts and swing up from there."

"My Galaxy 99v2 does 300 watts."

"Can I run my RCI 6900B4 into a green lizard 250?"

"Your 667 should do 1KW.
My Fat Boy 1x4 will do it, and you 667 has the same transistors."

" my Palomar 900 does 1.5k on my meter"

" USB is in the 10 meter band"

"How come I can't get 95.7 the fox on FM?"

"My superstar radio has 3,900 channels"

"Can I get someone to tune up my meter?
It is reading to low, I know my cobra 25 is doing more than 70 watts because it has a wackpack mod"

Jeff

I need to leave the Facebook CB groups - I spend so much time trying to help people only to have someone else come in and give them bad info.

So true....it even happens occasionally on this forum. The perspectives here are often just different. Some of my favorites are...1). What frequency is your antenna resonant on? If I’m not building an antenna from scratch or I have 100 foot run of coax sometimes it’s impractical to get my analyzer at the feed point. The SWR reading is going to have to do. That’s what my radio and amplifier care about. 2). Are you using a dummy load to measure your output. Some people don’t have a dummy load so the relative reading of my WM1, MFJ, Diawa or Dorsey are going to have to do on my 1.1-1.5 antenna SWR. Not everyone has a Bird, Telepost, Scope or HP. 3) Dummy loads. Sometimes I want to ask did you happen to measure the Ohm reading of that dummy load to know if it’s a perfect 50 ohms? Oh and I sure hope you didn’t use a Greenlee meter to take that reading. 4). Endless debates about coax types and coax lengths. Seriously unless your running Heliax and N type connectors you’ve got serious losses. 5). The number of people with bad coax jumpers is astounding. 6). Expecting Ham radio performance from an export radio...SERIOUSLY??? Enuj said....LOL

I like that people on this forum can disagree yet still discuss and most are willing to learn and even admit when they are wrong (myself included) but a lot of the people on FB are of a "I know better than you" attitude and no matter what explanation you give, video you post, they still won't get it. I feel sorry for the newbies over there who ask questions.

Just join any Facebook CB group. I'm truly amazed at the level of misinformation people put out and will argue til the 2nd coming it's fact. You have people asking legitimate questions, mostly new to the hobby, and people telling them things that are cringe worthy such as: SSB is not AM because it has no carrier.... a Galaxy 959 is a 10 meter radio because it has SSB.... only Hams can legally talk on SSB...you set the SWR by the meter on the radio, not adjusting the antenna...those are the more mild ones.
I don't fault new folks for asking these questions, but there are people responding with this kind of "information" to beginners who ask for help and will argue up and down it's facts when you correct them. They'll even post material that contradicts what they're saying and then argue you're reading it wrong...LOL.
It makes it difficult to help someone out when you have people just repeating the same misinformation the OP is asking about.

I believe that some post misinformation on purpose because they think it's funny.The world is full of Idiots & if you doubt it just spend a few minutes on most any channel on the 11 meter band when the band is open.If anyone can't seem to find them then maybe they should look in the mirror because it's a good chance they are also one. LOL I like the one's who say they have more than One SWR on their antenna.LOL If that were so they would sell SWR's Meters & they don't. {:>) hehe haha

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated