• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I'm an amateur

aquadood

Jul 31, 2008
Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to pick up a VHF radio to listen to air and marine traffic in my area (Honolulu) and am wondering what i'll need to do so. I'd like to get a unit that will work well with the offroad racing frequencies used in Baja for when i travel with the race team. Is the Icom 8000 a good choice?

Thank you,
Aquadood

It's overkill if all you want to do is listen. If you want to transmit, then yeah it will work great, but I'm assuming that you understand that radio won't transmit on the frequencies you use in the Baja races without modification. I have a friend that does races like that...the radios they typically use are pathetic, which is why I understand why you want something like the ic-8000 that puts out some serious wattage compared with the typical race radio setup.

If it's for listening only Mole's right, over kill. Probably be lots cheaper to find a scanner that covers the appropriate bands. I would figure if it's all VHF/UHF that the antenna would be tougher to get 'right' than the radio (right as in high enough). No idea what band(s) the race team might use so, good luck.
- 'Doc

Most of the race frequencies they use for the cross country style racing are in the 150mhz business band area. The problem is that most of those guys have radios that only put out a couple of watts and then wonder why they lose communications after a few miles. Even on the Nascar sprint cup race sunday they were complaining about how their radios don't work on the back stretch at Indy. Well duh!...those guys use frequencies around 440mhz with about 500mw (I'm guessing)...no wonder they have trouble talking to someone a mile away.

mole,

i'm a noobie so can you explain these modifications a little? are they to boost output?

also, what is a good recommended scanner?

You mentioned "Baja" -- I've never been involved with anything having to do with NASCAR, but Mexico is very particular about radios, especially when they're capable of transmitting. You might have to get a temporary license, or permit, or jump through some other hoops.

I'd be really sure of what I was doing. Maybe the drivers and other actual participants are covered by some blanket authorization from the Mexican government.

aquadood,

This radio is a 2m radio. It won't transmit outside of the 2m band from the factory. The frequencies you're wanting to use are going to be above the 2m band (I'm guessing). To make it work there, you have to perform a modification to the radio. Keep in mind that this type of usage is typically not legal. Will there be consequences for doing this? That depends on a lot of factors, some of which Beetle was hinting at. If you're going to be transmitting, I would find out what the other participants do and then make an informed decision about what you want to do.

Understood. I'm more trying to gain understanding than planning to modify the radio I buy. If i remember correctly the frequencies used for the Mexico races are usually between 155.xxx and 157.xxx.

Baja

With the new law voted in last week, I would not take any electronic gear that I wanted to keep into Mexico. They now have permission to 'detain' your laptop, camera, scanner, HAM radio, etc. for an extended period of time... Read FOREVER?? :confused:

Anyway I would think about purchasing a radio in Mexico that is already capable of using those freqs. Just a thought...

Loren

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.