• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I'm new to the birds, need some clearification

KC8CAY

Aug 25, 2010
Ok, so I got all hopped up and ready over the past 8 hours first my first AO51 pass. Yep, me=idiot...if I would have read, I would have known that it hasn't worked in a year. Ok, lesson learned. However, here is my newest challenge. I decided to give SO50 a go (open to any other satellite suggestions, btw). So after reading the telemetry (attached below in red):

30 Nov 12 11:54:56 00:14:26 201 61 131 36 12:09:22

The telemtry leads me to believe that the satellite moves southwest to northeast, yet as you track it on AMSAT it moves northwest to southeast. What am I doing wrong and how do I read this correctly so I track the bird properly.

73's and thanks,
Ben
KC8CAY

30 Nov 12 11:54:56 00:14:26 201 61 131 36 12:09:22

I'm guessing that you copied/pasted that from amsat.org, correct? The 201 number is the Acquisition of Signal Azimuth - the coordinate where you will first be able to hear the bird. The 61 is the max elevation of the pass in degrees. The 131 is the Maximum elevation's azimuth (coordinate), and the 36 is the the bearing where you will lose the signal.

Have you watched my video on how to work the satellites? I show you how to translate and use those numbers in real-time in the field. You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Thanks! I'll review it again. I also sent you an APRS message saying thanks, I was trying out messaging on the VX8. :) I'll keep you posted.

Ok so I reviewed the video again, and I have a few questions. AMSAT and Satscape are giving me different numbers (times, peak AZ), so which is correct data?

1. Make sure you update the keps in Satscape.

2. Make sure your current time is correct.

3. Make sure your location is correct.

Do those three and compare again

Dave-KB1PVH

Also, you can get varying data depending on whether or not you use your current elevation in your location. Satscape will take that info into consideration but other tools may not.

My friend, I;m doing some research also, and a first stop appears to be downloading SATSCAPE: Satscape | Satscape which ought to give you visual info on all sat movement. At least it's a big help in my understanding of how they all dance in the sky. Best.

David Ahrendts, KC0XT, Los Angeles

The telemtry leads me to believe that the satellite moves southwest to northeast, yet as you track it on AMSAT it moves northwest to southeast. What am I doing wrong and how do I read this correctly so I track the bird properly.

73's and thanks,
Ben
KC8CAY

there are many programs that you can tailor to your QTH and will give you AOS, LOS, and direction, ect, for each bird.

have you used the "Satellite Maps" at the top of THIS page?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.