• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Im sick of cb shops

isnt that the dumb ones who pay the government for a lic when you dont have to? lol just sayin

No those would be the smart ones that realized that there is a HUGELY different world out there in radio-land with much better quality gear and wide open bands to communicate around the world with pretty much 24 hrs. a day 365 days a year depending on the band. Oh and I don`t pay anyone anything at al for my license. Ever. Not since about 15 years ago. It is granted for life here. LOL Just sayin`.

Agreed there CK, I don't think having or getting my ticket is out of the question! I need to get mine to take advantage of the radio I have and like you said all the other bands and freqs that can be used. I will get it one of these days! Right now work encompasses most of my time. I just happened to come to the realization that spending 4-500 dollars on an export radio was not a good choice IMO, and started my search for a real hf radio. The difference is night and day as far as quality and I don't have to worry about being off frequency! I too learned the hard way I guess, spent a lot of money on export radios and finally saw the light! No comparison! Like apples to oranges. I love both of my hf radios and will not buy another export that's for sure. Maybe it's just me, but I figured why pay 4-500 for a radio that needs to be tuned, aligned, converted and so on when I can get a good used hf radio that beats the pants off any of my exports. I will get my ticket as it is the correct thing to do, all in due time! I was just simply trying to show that a good used hf radio can be had for around the same price as most new exports and like I said I think the difference is worth every penny I spent for both of mine!! But it's all a matter of opinion I suppose. I just know what I have now walks all over what I was using!! Anyway have a good one and God Bless.

Reactions: Oatmeal
No matter how you look at it, it is all playing radio.
I have used Ham radio, CB radio, FRS radio, Commercial radio...and other services as well, each has its advantages and disadvantages and that is subject to each individual's point of view.
I have my Ham license because it allows me to do things that I can not do on other services.
You will often see members here encouraging the community to expand their hobby, it is not meant in a disrespectful way.
There are many ham ops that still use the CB band and enjoy it, just because it is radio.

Jeff

No those would be the smart ones that realized that there is a HUGELY different world out there in radio-land with much better quality gear and wide open bands to communicate around the world with pretty much 24 hrs. a day 365 days a year depending on the band. Oh and I don`t pay anyone anything at al for my license. Ever. Not since about 15 years ago. It is granted for life here. LOL Just sayin`.
ihe heard these guys talk that didnt seem like a pastime while traveling that makes laughs too many stuffed shirts from an era gone by, no offense intended i like etiquette on ssb and im respectful, however am stupid channel 19 well..........lol

No matter how you look at it, it is all playing radio.
I have used Ham radio, CB radio, FRS radio, Commercial radio...and other services as well, each has its advantages and disadvantages and that is subject to each individual's point of view.
I have my Ham license because it allows me to do things that I can not do on other services.
You will often see members here encouraging the community to expand their hobby, it is not meant in a disrespectful way.
There are many ham ops that still use the CB band and enjoy it, just because it is radio.

Jeff
well said and i agree, i have a 30 plus year history with radios and still like it as a hobby, so sir that was the best answer ive heard yet 73s 101 operator Bob ne. oklahoma

The hf rigs are usually higher quality but many of them have such narrow audio bandwidth they just sound bad on AM. Some people are happy with that and think the narrow sound is fine. Everyone on ch 19 will think you have a crappy microphone. Keep this in mind and do your research before buying an HF rig.

Reactions: wheelman918
The hf rigs are usually higher quality but many of them have such narrow audio bandwidth they just sound bad on AM. Some people are happy with that and think the narrow sound is fine. Everyone on ch 19 will think you have a crappy microphone. Keep this in mind and do your research before buying an HF rig.
absolutely

Yes sir 543 they aren't the am mobster for sure!! The only ones I know that do okay on am are the kenwood 480 and a few others, my ts140 does okay on AM, but it's been modded. It will deal key about 30 watts and swing to 100watts on am. But it's an SSB radio as well, that's what I use it for anyway. And yes i agree, it's radio! Enjoy it and respect others and its a lot of fun. JMO. I try to treat others how I would want to be treated! Have fun that is my main goal, and maybe make some good friends in the process. It doesn't tske an hf radio to do it, but it sure is fun doing it on one

Reactions: wheelman918
Back to the subject of CB shops . . .

Usually, any CB shop that has been around for a while and has built up a clientele, did so by doing the work correctly and gains a decent reputation.

Then there are the CLWEA's (the 'can't leave well enough alone' bunch). The operators that want to get more out of the radio than the tech that set up that radio. They ALWAYS know better. They ALWAYS can do it better. As long as there is room to turn up the AM modulation or ALC pot, or both, then that has to be better.

Listened to the radio today and heard a couple of guys talking. One was explaining to another that it took two days to align the radio to his liking. He said he turned over every stone to ensure the radio was to his liking. Two days?!? Ehhh. Too bad he was still using a class C biased amp on SSB. But of course, he knows better than the tech . . . not!

Either trust the tech to keep up his reputation, or keep your money until you can tell the difference.

Sorry; had to rant for a moment . . .

Last edited:
Back to the subject of CB shops . . .

Usually, any CB shop that has been around for a while and has built up a clientele, did so by doing the work correctly and gains a decent reputation.

Then there are the CLWEA's (the 'can't leave well enough alone' bunch). The operators that want to get more out of the radio than the tech that set up that radio. They ALWAYS know better. They ALWAYS can do it better. As long as there is room to turn up the AM modulation or ALC pot, or both, then that has to be better.

Listened to the radio today and heard a couple of guys talking. One was explaining to another that it took two days to align the radio to his liking. He said he turned over every stone to ensure the radio was to his liking. Two days?!? Ehhh. Too bad he was still using a class C biased amp on SSB. But of course, he knows better than the tech . . . not!

Either trust the tech to keep up his reputation, or keep your money until you can tell the difference.

Sorry; had to rant for a moment . . .
my problem is i paid 516$ for one of his custom radios, been waiting, the dude would not communicate with me or he would have known i wanted blue display, i got red plus a blue flame (looks more like a stupid christmas radio add santa and a sleigh to the faceplate and there you go. and would set me back another 2 to 3 weeks for him not communicating to get the color i paid 516$ for? so am i wrong? am i being an ass cause i ordered one way dude dont communicate i just have to settle for what i get? I told him to forget it send it like it is at this point ill probably just sell it anyways or trade it for a linear or something like that, im not gonna put that mickey mouse looking piece of crap even in my vehicle.

my problem is i paid 516$ for one of his custom radios, been waiting, the dude would not communicate with me or he would have known i wanted blue display, i got red plus a blue flame (looks more like a stupid christmas radio add santa and a sleigh to the faceplate and there you go. and would set me back another 2 to 3 weeks for him not communicating to get the color i paid 516$ for? so am i wrong? am i being an ass cause i ordered one way dude dont communicate i just have to settle for what i get? I told him to forget it send it like it is at this point ill probably just sell it anyways or trade it for a linear or something like that, im not gonna put that mickey mouse looking piece of crap even in my vehicle.
i should just go on paypal demand my money back as busy as he claims he is he can just sell it? i mean its so stupid looking he would have to fix it before he did,this week he will deliver a radio or 516$ that ill guarantee im sick of messing with this dude

Not all shops are like that. Dealerships and Pharmacy's are worse!

Galaxy radios are fine but why would anyone buy a FCC type accepted radio from Galaxy?? Oh I forgot Uniden and Cobra do not make or sell a decent radio today especially if you want SSB. The Bearcat 980 is joke as is the modern 29 and modern 148.

I agree with other's that putting a a linear in or under a radios part of it's chassis or tins is a bad move especially over 100Watts. It is even worse in the hands of the average cb'er because they tend to abuse their gear, over drive everything etc....

I like CB mostly on SSB and only if I can find people intelligent to talk to that are not dropping the f bomb and behaving badly. That said I would never want to have a business that had CB's as my main market niche.

Having apprenticed in H.S. for a year at a shop that did a lot of commercial broadcast repair, maintence and upgrades I have seen the difference between a real technician and a hack.

In college I could not find a good shop so I did all my repairs and upgrades and an alignment in the colleges electronic class rooms. No one knew I was not in a single electronics class at the college. If I want anything today I would order off the internet from someone I trust in the industry that has a reputation for quality work. Too many Johnny Come Lately's in the CB sales and cut and tune industry.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal though.

One of the problems as I see it with linear like TS is that they are basically grandfathered in. So the designs are pretty static. To add insult to injury the best bipolar transistors are gone and rather poor substitutes are all that is left. So they need to move to 24, 48, 50 volt transistors especially mosfets if they really want to keep in the game. I have no clue how much modification it will take to make the TS line handle those and if it falls inline with their static designs. ( If I got anything wrong please feel free to correct it.)

So these shops installing the TX 75,150, 250,350aremaking a killing on the parts side of things because these linears are really cheap to purchase compared to the older TS, Boomer, Siltronics, Black Cat, TNT, deer hunter etc........It makes setup easier because you do not need coax jumpers or trying to figure out where the SWR issue is etc....No long separate runs for power and ground etc....

I think that there has always been a communication breakdown to a small degree betwen the tech and the customer. I can understand that you didn't get what you paid for, and it sounds like you paid too much - to boot.

As far as the front panel graphics, you can buy that custom made from 'Deb's Decals'. She is found on eBay AFAIK.

May I ask? Who did the work and what all did he do to the radio?

There are exception to the general rule, that tech know what they are doing. Some aren't real techs. For ecample, I am not a real tech that works on other people;s radios for profit. However, I do work on locals radios for the cost of parts, just so that I can get more working experience with electronics. Experience is the real deciding factor for a decent tech - IMO . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.