• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax 2000 and added coil?

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
Hi guys, just pondering this for use as a portable setup. I have an Imax 2000 that is just sitting. Have wondered if you could add a large coil inline (Wolf River or similar) with a tuner and do multiband operation , say to 40 meters? Easy enough to break down and toss in my pickup bed, and also carry to a camping site and set up a station by driving a short pole into the ground and mounting it up.

I don't find anything on the internet other than extended telescopic antennas and the like. Any ideas? HomerBB?

Brett

The Imax will already work well with a tuner down to 15 meters. If you jury-rig it to go any lower it's probably not going to be efficient at all and you're just forcing a match that the radio will like. If you want 40M portable .... get an antenna made for the band.

Hi guys, just pondering this for use as a portable setup. I have an Imax 2000 that is just sitting. Have wondered if you could add a large coil inline (Wolf River or similar) with a tuner and do multiband operation , say to 40 meters? Easy enough to break down and toss in my pickup bed, and also carry to a camping site and set up a station by driving a short pole into the ground and mounting it up.

I don't find anything on the internet other than extended telescopic antennas and the like. Any ideas? HomerBB?

Brett
Hi, Brett.
I love Wolf River coils. Have worked many countries on 20 and 40 meters using their mini coil, a 102” whip and a single wire radial 16.5’ in length. My guess is an Imax 2000 will get you 80 meters as well. An no need for a tuner. Simply tune using the coil’s sliding clip. Unless you don’t want to do so each tine you change bands. Then a tuner might come in handy. ;)

Reactions: 2RT307
The Imax will already work well with a tuner down to 15 meters. If you jury-rig it to go any lower it's probably not going to be efficient at all and you're just forcing a match that the radio will like. If you want 40M portable .... get an antenna made for the band.
I already have an end fed random wire to do that. It is difficult to get in the air sometimes. Adding a coil is common enough, except typically with a 102" whip, or one of those MFJ telescopic things (which are pretty fragile). I may have to just try it and see.

Brett

Reactions: Riverman
Hi, Brett.
I love Wolf River coils. Have worked many countries on 20 and 40 meters using their mini coil, a 102” whip and a single wire radial 16.5’ in length. My guess is an Imax 2000 will get you 80 meters as well. An no need for a tuner. Simply tune using the coil’s sliding clip. Unless you don’t want to do so each tine you change bands. Then a tuner might come in handy. ;) heard good things about them, too.

Hi, Brett.
I love Wolf River coils. Have worked many countries on 20 and 40 meters using their mini coil, a 102” whip and a single wire radial 16.5’ in length. My guess is an Imax 2000 will get you 80 meters as well. An no need for a tuner. Simply tune using the coil’s sliding clip. Unless you don’t want to do so each tine you change bands. Then a tuner might come in handy. ;)
Hey Riverman, good to see you here! Glad the Wolf River has been working well for you.

My thought for the Imax was it is a lot more wire in the air than a 102" whip, which is a good thing. Seems easy enough to mount it in the ground, and hold up to Texas winds. All the portable setups I have seen have a dinky little tripod for the antenna, and you know it wouldn't take long for one of those to fly to Oklahoma.

Brett

Reactions: Riverman
At one time I had both Wolf River coil and an Antron 99. Kicking myself for not having the idea at the time to combine the two. :confused:

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated