• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax 2000 GPK 103

Alabama Buckeye

Dogma Heretic
Jul 29, 2022
Magic City Alabama
Attached image is Imax 2000 with GPK 103. GPK 103 is a home-brew using the orig. GPK mounting bracket and 4x 102" SS antenna radial, with adapters.
The once Fugly Balun now upgraded to Black Tie formal wear. 12 windings of RG58 on FT240-43 is housed in ABS casing. FT240-43 is mounted perpendicular to length at the distal end, 8" from mast. Ends are open to air flow, hornet nests or Blue Birds.
Note that GPK is mounted at Tuning ring height versus feed point. Weight of Black-tie Balun is supported by 1/16" wire rope/ferruls from distal balun end length to upper antenna mount; and, coupled to antenna feed point.

Attachments

• 1664757922738.png
    1664757922738.png
    1 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

It's an IMAX 2000 with a ground plane kit. It's still a 5/8 wave vertical omni antenna. You can search the forum for threads on different opinions if the ground plane kits actually do anything or not. Most users don't notice a difference.

I have had my IMAX on 20 feet of mast pype for 14 years now. The GP kit is laying on the floor in my building lol. Some day I will install it when I get the tower up.

Here is a cool little article to read.

Last edited:
Thanks 9C1Driver for your response. I'm finding fault in what makes up a dipole. 1/4λ radiating element and 1/4λ grounding element and it's a 1/2λ dipole; a whole antenna.
I've a 5/8λ radiator and a 1/4λ ground element; in immediate contact, effectively so, with the feed point. Makes little sense why combined it's not a 7/8λ off-center fed dipole, I'm using the same math; it's tuned 1.05:1, it's a whole antenna. Maybe the same logic applies to a 1/4λ magnet antenna and car body makes a whole antenna; but, remains 1/4λ? Sometimes the math doesn't add up.
Am I irrational or is the ARRL Antenna book dogma sacrosanct? Don't answer that; the answer is, Yes.

9C1Driver Q: A "bent copper" is a crooked cop. A gang of crooks is/are what?
Have binge watched "Line of Duty" Roku chnl. Such AC units needed this side of pond.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.