• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IMAX 2000 VS Sirio Tornado 27 (coming soon)

... edit...three 40' towers a quarter wava apart and put an astron99 on each tower...

I hope I get this right, he has all 3 a99 going to an alpha-delta bradn 3 way antenna switch and he said when he selects one... makes like a 2 element beam in 3 choseable directions....

Actually , what he probably did, was to switch in and out an electrical 1/4 wave length in the feed line between 2 of the antennas.
That will change the radiated pattern from a figure 8 @ 90 degrees to the antennas to a cardioid pattern.

Actually , what he probably did, was to switch in and out an electrical 1/4 wave length in the feed line between 2 of the antennas.
That will change the radiated pattern from a figure 8 @ 90 degrees to the antennas to a cardioid pattern.

Maybe wasteful...but it would be fun to play with the possible phasing arrangements.

I still see one of those hanging off the side of a building every now and then...usually they do not appear to be in service any longer.
I used to talk to `330 DaRenda over in Bright Star Arkansas, that's what she had and it talked really good. I was told a coupla months ago that she had taken hers and the tower down.

Reactions: 2NC995
I asked Gary and he said that can work with 2 antennas, doesn't think it would with 3 and he said they should be a half wave apart not a qusrter
I edited because I had to call adn ask him again

Last edited:
As a technician class license holder "power" should not be a consideration.
now you had me sctratching my head here. I didn;t know if you were saying that we shouldnt worry about blowing up antennas and equipment too or if he shouldnt plan for when he upgrades his license and can run 1500w

When 10 meters is open 5 watts into a wet noodle for an antenna will work.
good three or four element yagi and 100 watts from a transceiver is GREAT.
Now if you are referring to use on 10 meters and 11 meters running massive amount of class C splatter watts then by all means take into consideration the power handling capabilities of the antenna.

Why would you worry about blowing up an antenna at technician level wattage allowed?
Antron 99 and Imax 2000 both can handle 1500 watts easily as can almost any base type vertical ground plane. then again why use a vertical ground plane on 10 meters when a yagi is the preferred antenna of choice?

you can have the most expensive transceiver money can buy and a full legal limit amplifier but if your antenna is not efficient you will not make the contacts you could make if you have a efficient antenna system.

antenna system is 95% of your signal, most amateurs use 100 watts and a GOOD antenna.
really scratching that head now?? Read the link below then scratch some more.
http://www.hamuniverse.com/linearamp.html

I always go for the higher power rating because I prefer spatter watts. The manufacturers generally only have a rating for some other type of watts. For a while I tried bird watts, then PEP watts for a while along with AVG watts, and I even tried running some RMS watts, but in the end I find I get out best with the spatter watts.

Ok...now all kidding aside, I can’t think of many times I regretted buying something bigger, better, higher rated, or stronger, or whatever...unless it was something I was carrying around. Maybe it’s my overkill mentality!

Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.