• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IMAX 2000 ?

IDIeselman you haven't got a clue ....could you please tell me wot part of the imax makes the imax not suitable with groundplanes?and could you please tell wot part of 4.5 -5 turns on a 4.25" former...DONT YOU UNDERSTAND...the chart is easy to follow .you need to do more research and educate yourself.Telling other members that radials dont work...Well look at dxbowleruk it worked fine for him....Do yourself a favour and try the dxbowleruk WAY you may be surprised it does work for some people :)

Your response is admirable while your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. I tried the 5 turns on a 4.25" former with Tram double shield low loss RG-8/X just as close to the feed point as I could get it, made no difference! The reason I went larger with my LMR 400 is because 4.25 is way to tight to form with it, do yourself a favor and look it up. My GP kit and properly mounted Imax now works great. Some people have good luck with isolating the Imax, some don't. As was stated different location and conditions call for different installations. I would guess one in every 5,000 Imax 2000 are isolated and yet this seems to be the golden egg.......for a few, just not me. :D

You have removed me from your friends list on paltalk, why when we were getting on so swimmingly? :D

Does your sister still have her African friend?
Yeah, why? Are you still sniffing cocaine and looking bald while claiming your SS benefits? :tongue:

IDIeselman wrote
The reason I went larger with my LMR 400 is because 4.25 is way to tight to form with it, do yourself a favor and look it up.
I'd look at that chart again if i were you. You don't know what you're talking about and you havn't got a clue how to isolate an antenna properly.:bdh:

Look up capacitance, here's an idiots guide.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor
Then look up inductance and capacitance in an electromagnetic field. This will allow you to calculate how the currents are flowing on the huge cap you created with your insulating tape or plastic dialectric.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
IDIeselman i think the problem you have is you need to learn to isolate an antenna .and i guess you are right if some one who doesent know about isolating an antenna one in every 5,000 would get it wrong :D but i would like to say well done on your imax getting it to work to 50% of its capability...maybe when you educate yourself you will get it to preform alot better in the future...well done (y)

For IDIeselman:-
The capacitance is greatest when there is a narrow separation between large areas of conductor, hence capacitor conductors are often called "plates," referring to an early means of construction. In practice, the dielectric between the plates passes a small amount of leakage current and also has an electric field strength limit, resulting in a breakdown voltage, while the conductors and leads introduce an undesired inductance and resistance.

IDIeselman i think the problem you have is you need to learn to isolate an antenna .and i guess you are right if some one who doesent know about isolating an antenna one in every 5,000 would get it wrong :D but i would like to say well done on your imax getting it to work to 50% of its capability...maybe when you educate yourself you will get it to preform alot better in the future...well done (y)

:LOL::LOL: Yeah it's only working at 50% and adding a shovel handle will double an antennas performance:eek: You're killen me smalls! Everyone might as well throw their current antenna and replace it with an Imax and shovel handle.

You and nav2010 should really start selling these in kit form(y) The new and improved...... IMAX ASH 2000, Double the performace of your current antenna or your money back.........in toothpicks :D

:LOL::LOL: Yeah it's only working at 50% and adding a shovel handle will double an antennas performance:eek: You're killen me smalls! Everyone might as well throw their current antenna and replace it with an Imax and shovel handle.

You and nav2010 should really start selling these in kit form(y) The new and improved...... IMAX ASH 2000, Double the performace of your current antenna or your money back.........in toothpicks :D
You can use strong hardwood, delrin, glassfibre or any strong insulator that will stand up to wind. We use ash spade and shovel handles because they are really strong and available. I wouldn't expect you to realise any of this though because you deal in making huge caps with insulating tape. Ever thought of marketing that giant scaffold pole and mounting bracket capacitor you made with your cheap dielectric, never know what it could come in handy for.:bdh:
If you are going to be playing with antenna's and studying antenna theory you really need to go back to 2nd grade and start again because you made a bad start didn't you? Not paying attention to finer details doesn't get you far in this game. For fucks sake don't start building amps, the fire department and ambulance service are busy enough as it is.:oops:

:LOL: I may not know much about antennas and antenna theory but, I can state with much certainty that adding a shovel handle between the mast and antenna will not double it's performance. I certainly will not start building amps, no need for them anymore since the release of the new IMAX ASH 2000 :laugh: I would however like to bring my mounting capacitor to market. Would you send me the contact information to those who helped market your ASH 2000? With everyone doubling their antenna's performance and the FCC being what it is. We will soon be reduced to one watt radios or made to run my mounting cap to meet these new regulations as the performance of the IMAX ASH is revolutionizing the world of two way communication.:love:

You know, what he's trying to do is isolate the mast from re-radiating so as long as that black vinyl dielectric capacitor value is high enough in frequency, it will still isolate the RF of 11m, though he might have made a nice harmonic radiator... :blink:

I think that ID had a problem with his Imax when he tried to isolate it from the mast. Dunno if he had radials on it for sure, but if it was the OEM ground plane kit for the Imax that well could have been the problem. AS we know, they aren't even 1/4 wavelength long. They are 6 ft long only. But isolating the Imax, using real 1/4 wavelength radials, and adding a 4.25 inch diameter choke with 5 winds of RG-58 is known as a success formula for the Imax. Maybe not as optimal as a Maco V-58 or a Super Penetrator, but that will be the best one can do for the Imax.

I considered getting some 10 ft of threaded rod that has the same size thread and diameter as the radials have. Cutting the threaded rod into four 2 1/2 ft pieces and adding one piece to each radial will make them 8 1/2 ft long - which should behave like a real 1/4 wavelength radial would. This might prove to be a real cheap fix; certainly cheaper than buying four steel whips for sure! Haven't done it yet, but I might play with that idea sometime this Spring. Just some thoughts . . .

Why didn't they just make the radials like a Firestick, 6' long for shipping but resonant on 11m? :unsure:

Got Firesticks?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.