• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IMAX 2000 ?

I think that ID had a problem with his Imax when he tried to isolate it from the mast. Dunno if he had radials on it for sure, but if it was the OEM ground plane kit for the Imax that well could have been the problem. AS we know, they aren't even 1/4 wavelength long. They are 6 ft long only. But isolating the Imax, using real 1/4 wavelength radials, and adding a 4.25 inch diameter choke with 5 winds of RG-58 is known as a success formula for the Imax. Maybe not as optimal as a Maco V-58 or a Super Penetrator, but that will be the best one can do for the Imax.

I considered getting some 10 ft of threaded rod that has the same size thread and diameter as the radials have. Cutting the threaded rod into four 2 1/2 ft pieces and adding one piece to each radial will make them 8 1/2 ft long - which should behave like a real 1/4 wavelength radial would. This might prove to be a real cheap fix; certainly cheaper than buying four steel whips for sure! Haven't done it yet, but I might play with that idea sometime this Spring. Just some thoughts . . .
Interesting comments there Robb.

Robb, I did indeed have the OEM ground plane kit included with the Imax when I failed at my attempt of isolation. I do not know if it was the GP kit or my method of isolation that caused the problem. I was excited to get it in the air and read a few threads and followed the recommended isolation methods. It worked but, works much better mounted per the manufacturers directions, I talk to stations up to 40 miles away every night and with good reports. Not that the Imax is a bad antenna but in my never ending quest for something better I have decided to sell the Imax and replace it with the SP-500.

nav2010, thanks for the information and entertainment. It was fun!:D

Do to boredom this morning I decided to install my Imax on the rear opposite corner of my property on two fence poles 20 foot long and ran LMR400 to a switch at my radio and have my Sirio S-2016 on the other corner of the property on my tower both are fed with 100 foot of coax although the 2016 is next to my shack and the Imax is about 60 foot away. Well anyway with the Imax up and using 4 -- 108 inch 8 gauge wires as a ground plane at about a 30 degree angle down and not isolating the antenna my swr jumped to 1.7 on CH#1 and 1.4 on CH#40 without antenna isolated. Then with antenna isolated I got 1.7 on 1 and 1.6 on 40 when the wires where removed and 1 8gauge wire was ran from the antenna mount to a 8 foot ground rod my swr dropped to 1.3on 1 and 1.2 on 40. I left it this way. Just my findings at this shack.

How do you like your Connex CX-33ssb? I have a chance to buy a 3 mmonth old unit for $375.00. Just wondering.

If it's as close to a 2517 on the inside as it is on the outside, I'd buy it. I liked my 2517 and am glad a good friend now owns it. He lets me play on it when I go over & visit. I'll buy another one someday.

How do you like your Connex CX-33ssb? I have a chance to buy a 3 mmonth old unit for $375.00. Just wondering.

With it being my first base radio I don't really have nothing to compare it to but, everyone seems to love the way it sounds and it does everything I want it to do. For $375.00 you can't go wrong. Mine is not stock mind you and has been set up by Doug at customcbradios. Here is a video he made of the same radio. Review Of the Connex Saturn Base - YouTube

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.