• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IMAX-2000

Louisiana Mudd

X Marine Researcher - AUV / ASV Pilot
May 25, 2020
North West Texas
I don't have much experience with building different antennas and such which leads me to my question.

I am looking for an antenna that will cover a wide range of bands, have any of you ever used the IMAX-2000?

It is my understanding that the IMAX covers 10m-17m with a small decline in receive on the 17m band. As some of you know I had the 1411 on my radio which started giving me issues so it was replaced by the A-99. I want to make a purchase on a budget and the IMAX is within range. The A-99 does not have the specs that I am looking for as the IMAX seems to plus the A-99 is a 1/2 wave over a 1/4 wave and the IMAX 5/8 on 11m, .64 on 10m.

Let me know what you guys think. I really want to make a smart purchase because I don't want to have to purchase again in two months. I really want a decent antenna because I will be taking the exams very soon online.

Kindest regards,
Mudd

*Edit: Please note that this is just going to be used while I get the hang of crafting. I am open to suggestions regarding a tuner also.

AS BJ posted many alternatives.
I have an imax 2K.
I do not think I have used it in over a year.
They do work 10 thru 15 meters no tuner required.
I never tried it on 17 meters.
To have an inexpensive vertical multi band on the antenna farm the Imax 2K is "OK".
But an all band doublet will perform just as good if not better at the same height.
If you can not get at least 1/2 wl AGL with a dipole or ladderline fed doublet
then go for the Imax 2k as the vertical will work mounted close to the ground
and give decent DX performance, well when the solar cycle picks up again it will give performance:whistle:

AS BJ posted many alternatives.
I have an imax 2K.
I do not think I have used it in over a year.
They do work 10 thru 15 meters no tuner required.
I never tried it on 17 meters.
To have an inexpensive vertical multi band on the antenna farm the Imax 2K is "OK".
But an all band doublet will perform just as good if not better at the same height.
If you can not get at least 1/2 wl AGL with a dipole or ladderline fed doublet
then go for the Imax 2k as the vertical will work mounted close to the ground
and give decent DX performance, well when the solar cycle picks up again it will give performance:whistle:
Thank you my friend, much appreciated as well.

Reactions: wavrider
Build a multi-band Fan Dipole, resonate elements on as many bands as you want wires. It won't be vertical but it will be quieter and can be built very cheaply. This is what I run and I have worked the world on 100w and wire.

Reactions: wavrider
I use a PAIR of "Phased" 80-10 meter Doublets (the W8JK)
They are 124 ft overall (62.5 feet either side of center) 34 ft spacing it is feed with 300 Ohm KW+ rated Ladder line.
I use it on 80 thru 15 meters... @45 foot to center...IT ROCKS!
I have worked MANY members here on this forum.
I have two different tuners...1. a Homebrew version (Double L) I made from an old Dentron MT2000A I bought for $125...the other is the PALSTAR BT1500A (built like a TANK!!!!)
Many other tuners will work...JOHNSON MATCHBOX is a dandy!
Google: Link Coupled Tuner
Any tuner rated at 600 watts or more with a 4:1 balun will perform well
Many here to help
All the Best
Gary

w8jk1.gif

I use a PAIR of "Phased" 80-10 meter Doublets (the W8JK)
They are 124 ft overall (62.5 feet either side of center) 34 ft spacing it is feed with 300 Ohm KW+ rated Ladder line.
I use it on 80 thru 15 meters... @45 foot to center...IT ROCKS!
I have worked MANY members here on this forum.
I have two different tuners...1. a Homebrew version (Double L) I made from an old Dentron MT2000A I bought for $125...the other is the PALSTAR BT1500A (built like a TANK!!!!)
Many other tuners will work...JOHNSON MATCHBOX is a dandy!
Google: Link Coupled Tuner
Any tuner rated at 600 watts or more with a 4:1 balun will perform well
Many here to help
All the Best
Gary

w8jk1.gif
Dang Gary, you rock brother. Thank you so much for your time. It helps to have people like you all when you are just starting out.

Build a multi-band Fan Dipole, resonate elements on as many bands as you want wires. It won't be vertical but it will be quieter and can be built very cheaply. This is what I run and I have worked the world on 100w and wire.
So many options, I think that a build will be more rewarding. I may still order the IMAX 2000 for a portable or just stick with the A-99 and just order the ground plane kit for my portable setup.

I would like to get opinions on this antenna. This is what I was running when I started getting a hissing noise on TX. I am seriously considering ordering another one for a portable. I really want to believe that it was just a bad one in the batch. I need a good portable as I travel a lot and it worked really well on my tripod stand. When it was working I was able to make contacts all over the country. It blows this A-99 out of the water.

https://www.amazon.com/Tram-1411-Discone-Scanner-Antenna

[photo=medium]6343[/photo]

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.