• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Imax 2k issue

RT431

In the swamp
Dec 2, 2018
Nebraska
My imax has issues at Least I think it does. When I installed it last fall I had good swr. 1.2 across the legal 40. Retuned the rings for 27.555.0 and had a 1.1 on 555 and 1.2 on 385. Now, however I have a 4+ swr no matter what frequency I'm on. Haven't had time to take antenna down or check the coax. Had COVID, finally recovering and dad is in hospital and daycare I've been busy. Hoping to get to it soon before the snow flys. Any ideas?.
If antenna is trash I was considering the Sirio Gainmaster,. Anyone have one and how well do they work and how well do they hold up?
I've read stories of them breaking in high winds. Just be kicking things around. I appreciate all comments. Thanx!

The question still remains, in case the Imax is trash, hopefully not, how does the Gainmaster perform and durability?

My imax has issues at Least I think it does. When I installed it last fall I had good swr. 1.2 across the legal 40. Retuned the rings for 27.555.0 and had a 1.1 on 555 and 1.2 on 385. Now, however I have a 4+ swr no matter what frequency I'm on. Haven't had time to take antenna down or check the coax. Had COVID, finally recovering and dad is in hospital and daycare I've been busy. Hoping to get to it soon before the snow flys. Any ideas?.
If antenna is trash I was considering the Sirio Gainmaster,. Anyone have one and how well do they work and how well do they hold up?
I've read stories of them breaking in high winds. Just be kicking things around. I appreciate all comments. Thanx!
Have experienced change SWR my self. Application of crush washers was first and retuning 2nd. My shift not quite so drastic ~2.5. Self adhering silicon tape on rings 3rd measure taken.

The Imax 2000 is not trash and is very durable. Mine is well over a decade old, sits on top of a 20ft pole and the UK is one of the windiest countries in the UK. The only problem with it is you need to wear gloves now handling it because of the very fine fibreglass splinters.

The most likely candidate is the coax, especially water ingress in the connector at the antenna end if you've not weatherproofed it properly. The other thing is if you've not secured the coax to the mast near is the weight of the coax, especially if it's the larger stuff like RG213, pulling it out of the PL259 which can break the braid connection to the shell of the connector.

Just remember that if you decide to check continuity in the antenna sections there's a capacitor in the middle section it'll show as open circuit.

Reactions: Marconi
Well, in my experience, you're due for a new projector anyway. I would not use the gainmaster, though. I'd get a good piece of aluminum in the air. The Sirio, 827, or the 2008 or the 2016 would be the best candidates.

The Imax 2000 is not trash and is very durable. Mine is well over a decade old, sits on top of a 20ft pole and the UK is one of the windiest countries in the UK. The only problem with it is you need to wear gloves now handling it because of the very fine fibreglass splinters.

The most likely candidate is the coax, especially water ingress in the connector at the antenna end if you've not weatherproofed it properly. The other thing is if you've not secured the coax to the mast near is the weight of the coax, especially if it's the larger stuff like RG213, pulling it out of the PL259 which can break the braid connection to the shell of the connector.

Just remember that if you decide to check continuity in the antenna sections there's a capacitor in the middle section it'll show as open circuit.
I agree. My Imax is 15 years old and still going strong.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.