• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Improving reception ON a mountain?

RadioCatt

Mar 12, 2023
Hello;

Just got a Tecsun PL990 the other day. Reception is about 1/2 meh. I haven’t yet tried going outside to escape the house’s RFI, as another poster here says he does. Is it something about the mountain I’m on and its terrain..surrounded by trees (containing Q-killing water) that prevents my receiving signal?

We also got a relatively cheap “emergency” radio: AM / FM / WX with two lights and an 18” whip - which pulls in AM stations the Tecsun can’t get!

Are these two situations related: mountain location / cheap vs expensive receiver

I’m at appx 600’ above sea level; appx 500’ above the valley below, surrounded by 100’ conifers and other mountains.

Last night in the wee hours, on the tecsun, I got signals from okeechobee, botswanna, and a one either from China or SE Asia. Tonight, I plan to take the 990 outside to see if there’s a difference.

Thank you for any tips.

900 feet above sea level is not on the top of a "mountain "by any measure. A foothill, maybe. I live on the top of a real mountain (5700' elevation). Like sp5it posted, you need a better antenna. Lots of good Dxing antennas on the web. Or just string a really long wire as high as you can. Maybe on top of one of those trees. Good luck.73.

Reactions: whiteastro
A whip antenna will pull in only the strongest signals. The foreign "flamethrower" transmitting sites with hundreds of kW were mostly a cold war thing, and have been demolished. Plenty of YouTube footage of the antenna sites coming down. At the very least a random-length long wire as high as you can put it will make a difference you can hear.

honestly with those cheap receivers putting a long wire antenna on just overloads the receiver and you will only hear the local AM sports station across the entire band.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.