• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Incognito antenna

You folks have peaked my interest in a double bazooka antenna!
I live in a mobile home community so some "rod of God" antenna probably isn't going to be acceptable. Will one of these antennas be a cost effective and relatively easy way to get on the air (11 meter)? Looking for decent local and skip situations mainly on SSB and maybe 100 or 200 watts.
JD

5ZaYwYHY1db
5ZaYwYHY1db

That's pretty cool!
I don't think it will work in my situation as my home is 3 years old and has a peaked asphalt shingle roof.

JD

Last edited:
JD: Your asking about 2 different antennas. Local and DX array.
They are not the same antenna.
Your best choice for DX is a Horizontal Dipole, period end of subject.
Local comm's is a Vertical Ground plane or Vertical Dipole.
The compromise between those is a Inverted V Dipole, where you get a "little" of each. (Vert/Horz)(providing you only want 1 antenna to do everything!)

The bazooka antenna is nothing more than a Dipole varient.
They offer NO Gain over a dipole, harder to construct. (IMHO)
The only advantages the bazooka offers are they are "slightly" shorter than a standard dipole and tend to be more broadbanded than the typical dipole.
I have found the later true only in antennas used like 7 MHz and below.
I have used a couple bazookas and found them no better than dipole, and do not hold up against weather very well due to how they are constructed. (water intrusion degrades them severely)
The typical standard dipole construction is plenty wide enough to use on 11 meters, and cover the entire spread and a little more if built and tuned correctly.
My 2 cents worth
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

JD: Your asking about 2 different antennas. Local and DX array.
They are not the same antenna.
Your best choice for DX is a Horizontal Dipole, period end of subject.
Local comm's is a Vertical Ground plane or Vertical Dipole.
The compromise between those is a Inverted V Dipole, where you get a "little" of each. (Vert/Horz)(providing you only want 1 antenna to do everything!)

The bazooka antenna is nothing more than a Dipole varient.
They offer NO Gain over a dipole, harder to construct. (IMHO)
The only advantages the bazooka offers are they are "slightly" shorter than a standard dipole and tend to be more broadbanded than the typical dipole.
I have found the later true only in antennas used like 7 MHz and below.
I have used a couple bazookas and found them no better than dipole, and do not hold up against weather very well due to how they are constructed. (water intrusion degrades them severely)
The typical standard dipole construction is plenty wide enough to use on 11 meters, and cover the entire spread and a little more if built and tuned correctly.
My 2 cents worth
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Thanks for the reply! What peaked my interest in the bazooka antenna was the Radiowavz pre-made offering. It's low in price and hopefully it would allow me to see what I was getting myself into in regards to attempting a base setup at home. Noise issues, RFI with the neighbors, etc. Also have power lines behind the house so I'm more or less going in somewhat blind on what issues I may have to deal with. If it works then moving into building my own dipoles and such may be the ticket! And a Ticket may be in the future too!

JD

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.