• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

info about yaesu ft 897d and HVT-400B antenna

rob

Jun 21, 2011
pittsburgh
im thinking about getting a yaesu ft 897d with a HVT-400B antenna, im a beginner in this ham radio and ive been reading a lot of great things about the yaesu radio and bad things to. i just want to make sure im not just wasting my money on it. i love the fact that its all in one bands but what ive read few people have to get it repaired once a year and few other problems. im not going to do any mods or anything and most of the time all im going to do is listen..

I have the HVT 400 antenna and like very much as a mobile hf antenna...I have made contacts across the country on 10,15,20,40 meters with an ft 857d and a ldg antenna tuner....if you read reviews on wham about the HVT 400 you will get a good idea of the pros and cons...don't go back too far though because they changed the design at some point and it's a bit more stronger that it was....I'm sure others will have in put as well...

My 897D has been a great radio...I have sent it in once for repair, but that is to be expected after the Idiot operator ( Me) shoved 200+ watts back INTO the radio after re doing my desk and hooking up the coax switch`s wrong :headbang :headbang
Really it has been a great radio, I beat it around, go camping with it, leave it sitting outside...I left it sitting on the camp table one time and it got caught in a thunderstorm, after i poured the water out of it and let it dry out, still works fine.
A very durable radio.

Jeff

thanks guys for the info i was lil cared to buy them and end up being shit i am reading and watching reviews on both and so far it sounds like there great buys if you got more 2 say please just write them id love to hear what you guys have to say

The FT-897D is a good little portable radio. It has some interesting features like the ability to snap in a power supply or batteries into the chassis. LDG makes a good autotuner that screws onto the side. There are rigs that are much better technically, with better RX and DSP (along with other things), but if you want a do-it-all, go-everywhere, tough little radio, this is it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.