• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

info about yaesu ft 897d and HVT-400B antenna

rob

Jun 21, 2011
pittsburgh
im thinking about getting a yaesu ft 897d with a HVT-400B antenna, im a beginner in this ham radio and ive been reading a lot of great things about the yaesu radio and bad things to. i just want to make sure im not just wasting my money on it. i love the fact that its all in one bands but what ive read few people have to get it repaired once a year and few other problems. im not going to do any mods or anything and most of the time all im going to do is listen..

I have the HVT 400 antenna and like very much as a mobile hf antenna...I have made contacts across the country on 10,15,20,40 meters with an ft 857d and a ldg antenna tuner....if you read reviews on wham about the HVT 400 you will get a good idea of the pros and cons...don't go back too far though because they changed the design at some point and it's a bit more stronger that it was....I'm sure others will have in put as well...

My 897D has been a great radio...I have sent it in once for repair, but that is to be expected after the Idiot operator ( Me) shoved 200+ watts back INTO the radio after re doing my desk and hooking up the coax switch`s wrong :headbang :headbang
Really it has been a great radio, I beat it around, go camping with it, leave it sitting outside...I left it sitting on the camp table one time and it got caught in a thunderstorm, after i poured the water out of it and let it dry out, still works fine.
A very durable radio.

Jeff

thanks guys for the info i was lil cared to buy them and end up being shit i am reading and watching reviews on both and so far it sounds like there great buys if you got more 2 say please just write them id love to hear what you guys have to say

The FT-897D is a good little portable radio. It has some interesting features like the ability to snap in a power supply or batteries into the chassis. LDG makes a good autotuner that screws onto the side. There are rigs that are much better technically, with better RX and DSP (along with other things), but if you want a do-it-all, go-everywhere, tough little radio, this is it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.