• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

info please

3-5-7

May 30, 2010
hello my friend hes a icom -718 all band and he cant get it to work we think it needs a antenna tuner he has a antron 99 and the coax and the radio so the question is what else do we need to make it work on 10 meters am and if it needs a antenna tuner which is a inexpencive one to buy,,,, another thing does it have a way to use it with out the automatic antenna tuner?? thanks;;;; im going to read the operators manuel but u guys can point us in the wright direction(y)

Point in the right direction?

Not trying to sound rude, you asked alot of questions in a few sentences, The answer to all of those questions except one can be found inside the operators manual of that transciever. It will be quicker if you read the manual than have someone try to explain it.

The tuner, qth,com or flea bay.

I get 10m, 11m, 12m, and 15m out of the Imax antenna. An external tuner like an LDG 100 or 200 would be fine. The A-99 is capable of the same thing with a tuner and some small modifications.

The Icom 718 won't transmit on 11m ("CB") without modifying it. It will receive that freq; but not transmit there. It works on 10m just fine.

ok thks

yes i just red the manuel and my questions still havent been answered it just dosent say clearly what im trying to know maby some body else that has had one that dosent mind sharing but if not i can go to another forum that can help its funny.... cb is way diffrent than ham i feel like a newbie well i guess i am... learn something every day?:bdh:

Ummmm . . . Let me guess . . .

You want to use this radio on CB/AM talking. First of all, this radio is a little finicky about AM transmitting. Works fine for SSB. You can make it work on AM mode; but will have a hard time adjusting the mic gain correctly. Setting the dead key/'carrier' will be the other problem. If you try to make it over-modulate like a CB - it won't. It will just transmit a clicking sound when it hits the 100% modulation mark. Like hitting a brick wall. The radio's on-board compressor will make it sound even worse. I tried it - so I know. At best, it will put out 30 watts PEP/watts with a dead key/'carrier' of 6-8 watts on AM. It will put out about 100 watts/PEP on SSB. Works great on SSB; troublesome on AM. Not a real problem for a beginner or seasoned Ham to make it work just fine . . .

This radio wasn't built to suit the needs of CB AMers on "da bowl". Modifying it will take some cash and finding someone willing to do the work. Not saying it can't be done. But if you don't know your way around a Ham rig; you would have been better off getting a Ranger, Galaxy, or Cobra - and then modifying the crap out of that.

yes i just red the manuel and my questions still havent been answered it just dosent say clearly what im trying to know

You didn't ask clearly what it is that you're "trying to know", so it's difficult for us to answer your question.

he cant get it to work we think it needs a antenna tuner he has a antron 99 and the coax and the radio so the question is what else do we need to make it work on 10 meters am

What exactly, is the problem that you're having trying to get it to work on 10 meters AM. What are you trying to do and how is the rig behaving? What exactly is not working? You have to give us a bit more information about what the problem is before we can be of much help. Simply stating that "it's not working" isn't going to get you any help on any forum.

thank you

thank you thank you u guys gust answered all my questions sorry i dident ask clearly but now i know why it dident transmit and made that cliking sound its not my rig just trying to help out a friend that dosent have a computer and could nt understand the manuel i really appreciate your help you guys are tops!!! 73;ss

If the issue was that the radio would not transmit on the CB frequencies, that IS clearly stated in the manual. All you have to do is look on 54 of the user manual and look at the specs where it lists the TX frequency ranges or on page 52 under the trouble shooting guide. Under the TX section it lists the reason why transmitting is impossible,the radio is not set to a ham band.

10 meters A.M. :blink:

i would like to think that someone that has at LEAST a GENERAL ticket could figure this out.

10 meters A.M. :blink:

i would like to think that someone that has at LEAST a GENERAL ticket could figure this out.

I would think someone with an extra ticket could figure out how long a 20m dipole should be but I heard one ask that the other day. He also asked if he could make a 1/4 wave dipole instead of a half wave one to save on space. :headbang Welcome to the new age of amateur radio. :censored: :pop:

So what was the answer that he got? LOL!

Actually someone told him to load up his 10m dipole on 20m because it was the same size he was looking for. They also suggested that it may need a tuner to operate efficiently. He then asked if he could do the same thing for 40m and 80m. :blink: :headbang

Actually someone told him to load up his 10m dipole on 20m because it was the same size he was looking for. They also suggested that it may need a tuner to operate efficiently. He then asked if he could do the same thing for 40m and 80m. :blink: :headbang

See, I knew there were a few more gold nuggets to that story. heheh. :tongue:

Not all the new age C K.

I have an advanced that does not live to far from me, when he gets on 160 he kills me across the whole HF spectrum. He only works 80 and 160 ssb

No balun or RF choke at the feed point of his non resonant dipole, uses an antenna tuner to make it resonant. Home brew amp with no input tune, uses an external ldg tuner to make the rig happy, drives it with all the watts his rig will put out into a single 3-500Z homebrew and says it can not be him splattering all over the bands.

I offered to assist in helping him install a balun or choke at the fed point and bring the antenna analyzer to help get his dipole resonant but he would have none of it.

I finally had to audio/video tape the recieve on my rig while he was splattering me on 15 meters, he was on 160, sent him a copy and asked if he wanted me to send another copy to the FCC with a complaint form? Have not heard him since.

He claims to have been licensed for over 60 years.

I would think someone with an extra ticket could figure out how long a 20m dipole should be but I heard one ask that the other day. He also asked if he could make a 1/4 wave dipole instead of a half wave one to save on space. :headbang Welcome to the new age of amateur radio. :censored: :pop:

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1