• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Initial Ham Setup

If you don't already know, the Icom 7100 is a lot smaller than it appears in photos and videos. But that's not a bad thing. Am cramped for space as it is. Just didn't know they were made in and shipped from Nigeria. (n)

you need a duplexer.,one ant in 2 out one goes to vhf the other goes uhf
thats how i got my kenwood set up. it switches automatically

you need a duplexer.,one ant in 2 out one goes to vhf the other goes uhf
thats how i got my kenwood set up. it switches automatically

Yikes! There's no end to it! LOL.
And I need a studio mic. Foot remote. Headphones.
Pan-whatever with full color waterfall display. Radio dedicated PC. Lighted On-The-Air sign. Linear. ( feeling dizzy).

For now am going to stick to 10, 6, and 2 meters.
And see if I can figure D-STAR out. o_O

Yikes! There's no end to it! LOL.
And I need a studio mic. Foot remote. Headphones.
Pan-whatever with full color waterfall display. Radio dedicated PC. Lighted On-The-Air sign. Linear. ( feeling dizzy).

For now am going to stick to 10, 6, and 2 meters.
And see if I can figure D-STAR out. o_O
Don't forget CW and about 50 different digital modes. Then you need soundcard interfaces, TNC connections, straight key or paddle. Then you need an assortment of chokes and baluns, tuners, etc.

Then you may finally be able to operate your station!

Don't forget CW and about 50 different digital modes. Then you need soundcard interfaces, TNC connections, straight key or paddle. Then you need an assortment of chokes and baluns, tuners, etc.

Then you may finally be able to operate your station!

:eek: I don't feel so good.

Pretty sure I'm too old to be learning morse code.
And I don't know the difference between a packet and a RTTY. Any of that digital stuff worth me looking into?

Digital modes are cheap to try.

One of these was recommended by a psk31 user (I see him looking now) and it works well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220896968460

You can buy the unassembled kit and save $5. Add a couple of mono 1/8" plugs, required connector for your rig, wire and a cheap project box. There may be cheaper ways but I had the other parts in the junk box.

The software is free. Just remember ALC is evil in these modes.

Reactions: Riverman
I have a radio, and a mic. Oh, yeah, some wire and some feedline. I made a balun and put it on there 'cause I saw a picture of it. I been doing digital for a long time. But they call it texting... ;)

Reactions: binrat and Riverman
I have a radio, and a mic. Oh, yeah, some wire and some feedline. I made a balun and put it on there 'cause I saw a picture of it. I been doing digital for a long time. But they call it texting... ;)

That's me in a nutshell! But you're being modest, Homer. I know about your prowness in the homemade antenna field. And radios in general. :D That Home Depot apron is a thin disguise.

Last edited:
you can get a duplexer for around 20 bucks on fleabay. its were i got mine from

I'll ask this question in the middle of the day so hopefully not too many will see it. Embarassed to ask. :unsure:
What is the difference between a duplexer and an antenna splitter?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.