• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

input needed on getting a galaxy DX 979 with a k 203 amp

doc919

Dec 6, 2012
mid south tennessee
I was looking at purchasing this setup for less than 180 dollars I need some opinions on it other than it not having a frequency meter. This unit will be used as a mobile

If the 979 isn't already peaked it'll be a good combo. If it is peaked, make sure the output isn't higher than 10w with the mic gain and variable power turned up. I don't know about that particular amp on ssb, but my kl203p does fair. An external freq. counter can be bought for around $50-60 new.

From what I've read the kl203 is am. and SSB compatible a.m. side about 100 what is this be between 100 150 Watts... how bad is the 979 about driftng after getting warmed up and I'm locking the clarifier is it worth it

I've read somewhere where people have done a lot of work to stop the drifting on ssb, but in the end never really stopped it. I did read something where someone put a small light bulb inside the radio next to the piece causing the drift so that it is always warm, thusly reducing the drift. The bulb was way less work and way less money. It's the temperature changes that affect the drifting.

A Uniden 980 and a that amp will put you around the $200 mark. It's solid on ssb. No rodger beep or variable power with it.

If the clarifier is left stock the Galaxy 979 seems to be better then other Galaxy radio's on SSB drift. For the money the 979 is a good little radio.

Again, for the money, the KL-203 is bang for the buck. Just remember you have a light duty low drive amplifier. For AM a 1 watt dead key, and peak wattage 12-18 seems to work well.

I would also consider adding a fan to the 203, get a 24 volt computer fan and mount it right on the heat sink. At 12 volts the fan will be nice and quiet and keep the amp cool.

Reactions: 1 person
If I didn't have so much stuff The next thing I would buy Is a Uniden 980 for SSB sounds to be a real good buy....................couldn't pass up on the RM amps need a few for the shelf. Can't beat em for the price......... DNJ Radio the olny way to go......

Attachments

• RM.jpg
    RM.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 7
Ok! Thank you everyone for the input. I normally run just AM but have been thinking. Bout getting into the ssb.. is there really that much traffic/conversation on ssb. I have never really dealt with it. Also I have heard about the LESCOM KIT n clarifier mod. Are they worth it?

The LESCOM kits work great, but the radio will need a full alignment on the PLL, this is not a plug n play kit.

Ok! Thank you everyone for the input. I normally run just AM but have been thinking. Bout getting into the ssb.. is there really that much traffic/conversation on ssb. I have never really dealt with it. Also I have heard about the LESCOM KIT n clarifier mod. Are they worth it?

is there really that much traffic/conversation on ssb. I have never really dealt with it.

SSB is a different animal completely. Lots of traffic, lots of contacts to be had from distant stations, and a bit more civilized than AM skip.

It should come with a Surgeon Generals warning however. SSB operation is addictive and can lead to serious deficiencies in cash.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: