• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Install in subaru outback

I have a ground strap going from the body to the trunk although I don't believe the trunk is isolated anyway.

World of difference between DC continuity and AC/RF. If you've got an antenna analyser you can check it quite simply by measuring where the resonant frequency where X=0 is without a bonding strap then when you've added one see if the resonant frequency has dropped. It usually does despite good DC continuity. Despite my antenna being on the hatch lid, when I bonded the hood to the body the resonant frequency dropped again indicating even more of an improvement.

You need to be making the ground strap from flattened RG213 braid at a minimum and not wire.

Okay I'll keep that in mind. The strap I used actually made swr's jump up above 2. I literally was using 12 gauge wire from inside the car and placed it under the magnet

The antenna was moved and is currently at its tuned height. Before I got even swr's across the board 1 and 40 were anywhere between 1.3 and 2.3.

Local guys tell me that 1.8 is okay. I may just be at my limit for the given locations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

welcome to cb and the fourm. i must say at your age im impresed by your interest
in radio.now for your install i see a few issues '
1/ ground wire under magnet.
if its close to 8.5-9 feet in lenth it acts as a antenna . this is bad
i doubt yours is doing ya any help even if it well under that lenth
2/ antenna location
the trunk is the 2nd worst place to mount it . the roof blocks most of your antenna
also affects swr. and makes your antena directional. meaning it wont transmit
equally in all directions. corrections
1/ remove ground wire completely
2/ move antenna to the roof. [ best mounting location]
this should lower your swr to about a 1.5. [this is fine]

Thank you for your input and the warm welcome hotrod.

The ground wire was about a foot long and I removed it after seeing the swr's jump as a result from it.

I understand that the trunk is not a good mounting location. However, I just cant bring myself to deal with the asthetics of it being on the roof. I have definitely noticed the directional aspect of this. I can reach a lot further behind the car than infront.

I honestly want to avoid mounting on the roof like the plauge. If im not mistaken I believe the roof skin on my car is aluminum. Im hoping a trunk mount and center loaded antenna would help remedy the relatively high swr's. Any thoughts on this?

The ground wire was about a foot long and I removed it after seeing the swr's jump as a result from it.

I understand that the trunk is not a good mounting location. However, I just cant bring myself to deal with the asthetics of it being on the roof. I have definitely noticed the directional aspect of this. I can reach a lot further behind the car than infront.

I honestly want to avoid mounting on the roof like the plauge. If im not mistaken I believe the roof skin on my car is aluminum. Im hoping a trunk mount and center loaded antenna would help remedy the relatively high swr's. Any thoughts on this?

1.8:1 really isn't that bad. Do they drop in the middle (channel 19)? The Lil' Will is a pretty narrow banded antenna, so you're probably set right if your dip is on 19 and your highs are on 1 and 40.

RT307

You might like one of the new bearcats. The color can be set to match your Kenwood. They are a great choice for in dash factory look. Here is a pic of mine with Pontiac's red lighting in my GXP. It should fit nicely in your space. May need a slight modification as they are not designed for in dash, but are very close to a din size unit.

71NqkQ6am5L.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
I dont recall tbh. The swr's are even on 1 and 40. I will test again this weekend.

You might like one of the new bearcats. The color can be set to match your Kenwood. They are a great choice for in dash factory look. Here is a pic of mine with Pontiac's red lighting in my GXP. It should fit nicely in your space. May need a slight modification as they are not designed for in dash, but are very close to a din size unit.

71NqkQ6am5L.jpg

Really cool install and looks great in your dash, but I think he's already said he's happy with the 510.

RT307

I actually originally wanted a bear cat. I thought they were a lot smaller than they are. I would have returned it before cutting my dash. A replaceable aftermarket din pocket is one thing, but im sure the fake wood grain is a pretty penny. The 510 actually matches my factory controls a lot better than my kenwood too, as they are all green.

On a side question, I get a lot of noise through not only the cb but my stereo as well. I have a ANL on the cb which helps a lot but there is nothing I can really do with the stereo. My battery is starting to show its age as well. Can anyone tell me from experience if a new battery will help absorb this extra voltage from what im assuming is the alternator?

wel im not sure about a aluminum roof???? but if y put a magnet mount on oit and sticks
its metal, if not then its either fiberglass or maybe aluminum.the centerload is a idea
worth a try. but you,ll need to ground your trunk lid as they have little to no ground
[making the trunk a poor chioce at best] your swr may lower a bit however you
MUST get a long enough shaft for the coil to clear the roofline. now your antenna
will still be somewhat directional. after some thinking if ya really wanna stay with
a trunk mount then ya may wanna look into a top loaded antenna like a wilson ftg silverload
a 4 footer should have the tip of antenna above roofline

I will look into a top mount. If it had provisions for it, I'd already have a spring and quick release under this one

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.