• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Installed Bluetooth BU-1 in VX-8DR

N3KDJ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 9, 2010
PA
I just installed the BU-1 into my VX-8DR...mostly for listening convenience. It works great! I paired right off with my Plantronics Voyager Pro and am listening away. (y)I have not played with VOX or TX at all yet, but I am psyched to use the Plantronics for listening...very cool. Next I have to try installing a BU-1 in the FTM-350.

I'd kind of like to buy one of the Yaesu headsets but the price for the kit plus the chargers and sleeves just seems ridiculous. :mellow:

I have the BU-1 installed in both the VX-8DR and the FTM-350. I have the Yaesu BH-2A (mono version) Bluetooth headset. It looks kind of dorky but works really well. The vox also works well. I also have the desk charger and the Bluetooth charger cradle that mounts to the head (CAB-1) of the FTM-350. It is a cheap option to recharge the headset on the go. It was only about $15.:love: I recommend it.

Cheers

Bluetooth

Thanks for the info. After I try a few of the BT earpieces and headsets I have here and test the VOX and so on I may add the Yaesu headset. When I called HRO today and asked for prices I actually got so much wrong information and guesses at what part number meant what that I eventually asked the guy if he could may be just pull up the radio in his cash register or even look at a catalog....what he insisted on was that for the FTM-350 I needed the BU-1 BT adapter PLUS the starter kit for BT at $179 (that includes the BU-1)....oh well...glad I took time to read up on Universal Radio's site. I have a few good friends that work in various HRO sites but the guy I got today was really a disappointment.

Ya, not a very smart guy to insist that you need the BU-1 and a starter kit.:whistle: The only thing I can't comment on is how long the BH-2A battery will last. I haven't run it out yet. The longest I have used it is 3.5 hours mostly listening with maybe 30 minutes of me talking. Good unit though.

Pairing VX-8DR (with BU-1 installed) with BH-2A

Ahh... ok, it turns out you need to be in the "Bluetooth PCODE" menu to initiate pairing by pressing "V/M" button... took me a few tries to figure it out.

-albertr

Last edited:
After dealing with Yaesu over their encryption modules for the other VX line, (which is basically the same form factor,) obtaining the Bluetooth unit was a PITA. Other than that, I've had no problem with the module itself.

Plantronics and this unit are a real winner.

I don't see much difference between the two product lines, OTOH.
Which is why I'm interested to see a VX-8(xx) firmware in the wild :)

EDIT: make sure and get a headset with a very positive tactile response. Some button clicks are soft.
For monitoring, make sure and lock PTT.

As for the headset, waterproof is nice, but the stereo option is so utterly ridiculous, you have to wonder who decided to include it.

I've been looking for a pair of waterproof stereo bluetooth headset to test with this unit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.