• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Installing a cb radio to my ford ranger

jester983

Apr 22, 2006
Hi guys, pretty soon im going to be putting my cb radio into my for ranger. Im wondering how I should install it? Power wise I mean.

Don't know what year your Ranger is, but mine is a '92 and there are rubber grommets in the firewall which I was able to pass power leads into the cab and hook directly to the battery.

Rangers have issues with fuel pump noise, so be sure to add some ground straps from the cab and bed to the frame, and you might need to wrap the fuel pump leads in some ferrite toroidal cores like the snap on type.

If you need to run an antenna lead into the cab, there are usually some grommets in the cab floor near the rear of the cab.

Battery hook up

Jester983

The way I hook my radios up to the battery is that I use a
wire terminal end that will fit under the bolt that tightens
the battery cable onto the battery terminal. I either crimp or solder, or both, the terminal end to wire.
Be sure to use the correct wire size considering the needs of your radio and the length of the wire.
Also, as was mentioned in an earlier post, you will most likely experience fuel pump noise on your Ranger. Your Ford dealer has a filter that they say will fix this problem. The filter used to go on the fuel pump inside the fuel tank unless they have changed it.

Hope this helps,

Avcat :D

I have a 92 ranger and i mounted the radio between the two seatback on the bact of the cab 1ft below the window. It was the best place to moutn it since i have a manual transmission . Over head wasnt a option since i run a 2950. I have my amp in my diamond plate tool box and all my ground are flat braided strap. I never had any fuel pump noise , I must have got lucky. Do u plan on running a amp 5pil or bigger if so a HO alternator is a must and 1/0 welding cable is recomended to suppy power to you box as well :D

Radio Installation

jester983,

Install a fuse in your positive wire as close to the battery as you
can. Some installions have both positive and negitive wires fused.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.