• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interceptor I-10k

Seeing as nothing else has changed in this setup except the ground idea, then I agree that the ground you mention is probably a bad idea. I find it hard to imagin the success of soldering a #4 copper wire to the shield of the coax without causing a lot of heat. It can be done, I'm sure, if you are really good at soldering. This probably was done outside at the antenna and that too can make soldering difficult. You may have well cause a serious impedance bump in your coax and maybe that is why the amp is not loading well.

If you wanted to do the copper wire to the ground, then a good physical connection to any part of the base of the connector or to the mounting bracket of the antenna is at the same ground potential as the shield should be at that point. Just keep it as far away from the radials as possible.

There are considerations to be made, but normally the supporting mast is adaquate for making a safety ground connection to earth. It is not the path to ground with the lowest resistance, but if lightening hits the antenna that dinky coax sure aint gona take it to ground before it explodes into space. That still leaves the mast so just use it to start with.

FLnative writes:
Marconi wrote:
FL native, how do you know that only the SWR goes lower?

thats what he said in his first post is that his swr goes lower (swings backward) as he modulates

Your right, I know he said that, but I was just asking LoneWolf if he also noticed his watts also going backwards as well.

If so, then IMO Taz is probably right on the money about the DeadKey. When the dead key in the radio is set high relative to the max output, then there is little or no driving power from the transistors. Thus the radio will appear to lose watts output and the SWR will show to drop.

I won't argue if this is a real loss or just more lying from the meter business, however. Some like big drive and some like high carrier output with little or no drive.

If the DK is the problem and he used the same setup with the Spectrum antenna, then why didn't the problem show up then?Sounds like I'm arguing with myself here? Maybe, but LoneWolf still has that problem, so maybe the deak key thing is off the track a bit. If so, then I think the ground is at fault.

Where did you go LoneWolf? Have you checked it out yet.

not a new one
hes out of business
i had to go with another antenna builder for my vertical as well

As per the law you cannot sell an antenna that does not have certain insulating (electrical) properties on the antenna itself for the CB band. That does not mean you cannot use such an antenna, it just means the antenna cannot be sold for such use. Manufacturers get around this by advertising the antenna as being for HAM radio or some form of commercial radio. It is not illegal to use the antenna for the CB band, it is just illegal to sell it specifically for CB radio.

How many aluminum CB antennas currently specifically advertise as being for CB use?

The DB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.