• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interceptor I-10k

As per the law you cannot sell an antenna that does not have certain insulating (electrical) properties on the antenna itself for the CB band. That does not mean you cannot use such an antenna, it just means the antenna cannot be sold for such use. Manufacturers get around this by advertising the antenna as being for HAM radio or some form of commercial radio. It is not illegal to use the antenna for the CB band, it is just illegal to sell it specifically for CB radio.

How many aluminum CB antennas currently specifically advertise as being for CB use?

The DB

CB 27 MHz Base Antenna

Foreign web site. Different rules apply. They can make the claim that the antennas fall under the laws of the nation the web site is registered in.

Also, if you look at the listed specs of the antennas themselves including the attached .pdf files neither the acronym CB nor the term Citizens Band is present. Thus the information that may be used by local distributors (in the US) is clean of this information.

Also as there are other frequencies used within the 11 meter band by other groups legally (I'll be it very rarely anymore) the antennas can be imported for said uses legally.

Now, find me a US company that builds aluminum antennas locally and then sells them as CB antennas locally.

The DB

The law was enacted because Idiots were installing all metal antennas and frying themselves by allowing the antenna to come in contact with live power lines.
The Big Book of laws for dummies.....

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
I think that "can't legally sell" a metal antenna applies only to commercial sales, not private ones. That certainly doesn't stop the private sales of 'metal' antennas, but it does crimp the manufacturers...
- 'Doc

Like most laws designed to protect you by those who know better, this one is useless. I think it had an impact the first few years when the Big Stick was the only 11 meter omni on the US market. After that, everyone figure out they didn't need to make any modifications to their antennas in order to comply. They just had to make some modifications in the marketing department.

So whats the deal with Jay @ A1 Antennas no longer making the Interceptor I10k? Is that correct information? :confused:

He used the remaining materials to build the last one a while back. The cost of restocking materials has reached the point where he's no longer interested. That and the Penetrator being back on the market has put the I-10K out of production.

Hey Needle Bender..

Clear out your In Box..
I tried sending you an Email..
But it is apparently over flowing (full..lol )

Do NOT Count Jay out yet..

He is taking a new list...

Seems many besides me need a new I-10K

That would be nice because his was certainly the most rugged 5/8 wave you could buy and that bullet proof matching network is a plus. Those are good reasons to buy one but if you're buying into the idea it has more gain than the Penetrator, that is a false hope.

well it was a sort of UpDated version of the Penetrator
although it clearly is a far tougher antenna ( hands down)

I suggest those who want the Interceptor I-10K
Email Jay direct..
Get on his list..

I will likely buy a couple of them

That would be nice because his was certainly the most rugged 5/8 wave you could buy and that bullet proof matching network is a plus. Those are good reasons to buy one but if you're buying into the idea it has more gain than the Penetrator, that is a false hope.

Quite agree. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.