• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

interest in a cobra 148/ss3900 clone

dd18

Davo
Dec 30, 2008
South East Asia
www.yeticomnz.com
We are looking at producing an smd dual final cobra 148/SS3900 clone with a stand alone counter.
functions same as the std 148/3900 with dual clarifiers and -10khz etc.
out put 40w Pep. Guaranteed to sound better and hear better than any 148/3900 out there as will use similar circuitry as the Optima in this regard.
FM will be 5khz wide and loud.
Counter included but will be stand alone plug in rear.
looking at 26-30mhz coverage to include all of 10m.
not too concerned with 12m coverage for this radio at the moment.
What sort of price would one expect and how much interest is there in a solid standard 40w 10m export radio?
Comments appreciated....both for and against

Reactions: 1 person

There are already too many clones of clones of clones in the market. Develope a real 10 meter transceiver and post some real receiver/transmitter specs and maybe you'll get some interest. Sorry but saying "Guaranteed to sound better and hear better than any 148/3900 out there" doesn't impress. Everyone says that about every expprt radio out there.

Reactions: 2 people
Wanna clone something and get us all excited by a new export?
u9e9ema6.jpg

A dual final 148 would be cool though, and with your track record already, with the optima, I'm sure it would be a great radio.

I would like to see a classic CB style chassis with the abilities of an optima or a HR-2510, as far as being able to tune in 100hz steps and continuous tuning through the frequencies.

actually I was thinking more along the lines of a basic no frills export CB radio that was stable on SSB and sounded really good on air.

I second the $250 price. Also - large Analog Meters are still the preferred choice. Like the big square analog meters seen in many of the Galaxy radios like the 959 DX.

Otherwise what you are saying is great. If you can do something in the circuitry to make the SSB stable even when cold.... you'll get raves.

Along with the dual clarifier, make it "open" tracking while you're at it.

Should include good sounding dual-control echo too.

Good luck

Magnum S-45hp $255 built in frequency counter and echoes, beeps etc..

Superstar SS-158 $239 built in frequency counter and echoes, beeps etc....

Not many exports with SSB that are simple no frills. Would you be able to keep the price down to around $250?

Personally I would buy a radio based on performance rather than toys, and if it cost the same as a S-45 hp but performed better than toys be damned, I would buy your radio. But that's just me. I am not interested in echoes and beeps.

I would include variable power too, if it is a real performer than you have a market with ops who will buy it for the stability and ears, but throw an amp behind it.

Yep, Variable Power is a must.

No analog meter, echo, roger beep - I no buy.

He did say no frills. I would at least want the ability to add variable power later. The ops that want it ought to be able to add echo and roger beeps as well. Wonder how easy that would be on an SMT board?

It will have everything the standard 148/SS3900 has.
roger beep
echo
variable all mode power
analog meter.(if you still have the eyes to read it!)
dual clarifier
SWR meter
But inside will be a SMD board with rock solid stability, a receiver similar to the Optima with very low noise floor, dual final.
The reason we have to put the counter separate is twofold.
firstly for price, secondly it will be an option.
The manufacturing is set up to produce a radio without the inbuilt display.
Microphone will be an ECM type.
The new radios coming out are basically clones of the same design. The functions are nice but they are getting complicated to use.
To be honest if I could get a hold of the tooling and moulds for the SS158 then that would be the format I would use! But we have to hold the price to a certain point so compelled to use what we have available to fit the radio in to. SSB performance will need to be the selling point. in a format that everybody understands out of the box.
Thanks,
Dave

Radios complicated to use ??? Maybe to some real idiot moron backwoods hillbillies. But they don't have jobs or money anyway so surely they are not your target customer. ??

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.