• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

interest in a cobra 148/ss3900 clone

Tell you what Dave, send me one and I'll post a review of it on the site. I won't charge a thing for my services either.

Reactions: 1 person
actually I was thinking more along the lines of a basic no frills export CB radio that was stable on SSB and sounded really good on air.

we've all been thinking about that for years, but we keep getting same old rehashed pish thats as stable as george bush in an oilfield (especially one in a foreign country) with crap like echo (the knobend in the vicinity early warning signal), bluetooth and other useless shit as bling,

what we all want is a stable no frills ssb set with decent rf speech processing, as for 40w output, that's pointless in a basic export set, most are run with external amps, 12 or 20w pep is plenty. a counter is only worthwhile if its accurate. 26 -28 mhz is essential and 6.5 to 7 mhz would be a nice optional add on.

Radios complicated to use ??? Maybe to some real idiot moron backwoods hillbillies.

Some guys do not like menu driven/programmable radios.
Even some Non idiot moron backwoods hillbillies got more money than i know what to do with Hams do not like menu driven radios, they like KNOBS to twist.

Goal:

A SuperStar 360FM style radio ( use a connex case and "style"face-plate, just do something to make sure they know it is NOT a connex, change the metering somehow and get it to still fit but stand out??? )
SSB stable across 26/30MHz, dual clarifiers, +10khz.
Optional Frequency counter
SMD
Dual final is fine to drive a DX-500, the best bang for the buck plug n play mass produced SSB amp, swing a deal with ELEFLOW for the HF20/2SC2312 in bulk and stay away from mofsets.
A NB that works as it should
ANL that works as it should
A narrow filter for SSB, good RX on AM/FM in wide, and good on SSB in narrow.
No echo ( if you want it buy a echo mic)
1 single, switchable Beep is ok i guess, it is only penny s anyway but you really don`t need it...it just ties up another switch.
No need for multi-color channel/meter lights.
Can you keep it under $200 and make a profit?
Add the counter for 49.95?
Build a reputation for a solid basic good SSB radio.

The 360 FM was a great radio, A basic radio for a no frills operator that worked well, just give it some more frequency coverage, some filtering, a jack on the back for the counter and make sure it is stable.

Jeff

I'd like to see a regular full featured 10 meter radio. I'm talking about a radio that even hard core HAM's would embrace.

Of course, if it was easily modifiable for 11 meters it would be cursed. However, if Yaesu, ICOM, Kenwood or Alinco built it it would be okay if it had a MARS/CAP mod. I bought a 2950 from HRO before they bowed to pressure.

I've been wanting something different for 10/11 meters. It's just the same old crap, something with potential comes along, but gets bogged down with beeps, farts, echo and bling. When's it going to stop?

I like my Optimas performance, but I totally dislike the chassis it sits in. If it had a true freq counter it would be awesome. Not having all the toys is a big plus for me. I was kinda hoping Uniden would toss their hat back in with a resurrected 2510/2600 style rig.

Reactions: 1 person
Some guys do not like menu

The 360 FM was a great radio, A basic radio for a no frills operator that worked well, just give it some more frequency coverage, some filtering, a jack on the back for the counter and make sure it is stable.

Jeff

trouble with the ss360fm was it isn't anywhere near as stable once you start broadbanding it, the filtering on it was already decent but could be improved, it's still my joint favourite radio (with president jackson) as nowadays the low end of 26 mhz is rarely used (adding low low would have been the first thing i did in the 80's but pointless now)

it should be easy to replace echo boards with a speech processing board, even if its just an optional plug and play extra, even simple clipping is much more useful than echo, with the added bonus you don't sound like a dickhead using it.

We are working on the Huracan for the hard core freebanders and hams.
That will have DDS for the VFO and whatever else we can do for it, big meter and will basically use a similar board.
But the project will take time as the production models get tried and tested and returned and rebuilt.
The 3900 chasis we already have..we have tested the single final version and all it needed in my opinion was another final and a counter, just need to build it, no more testing needed. It will be simple because no need to compete with the Huracan or Optima. Whole idea is to make it sound good on air.
Dual finals mean we can design a little more head room into the radio and improve the SSB audio by running it at around 25-30w. The more head room the better the SSB sounds, fuller, cleaner. and the thing lasts longer.
course clarifier on RX/TX +/- 6khz and the fine clarifier for rx only.
If we drop the channel read out for 5khz steps or 1mhz bands then people will get confused on the normal 40 ch! (we will do that on the huracan.)

Dual finals mean we can design a little more head room into the radio and improve the SSB audio by running it at around 25-30w. The more head room the better the SSB sounds, fuller, cleaner. and the thing lasts longer.

the president jackson/lincoln did similar running ssb at 20w pep from a mrf 477 or mrf 455, trouble is you add headroom, then dickheads inevitably turn the alc up full, splatter everywhere and you totally defeat the purpose of what you tried to achieve, i appreciate where you are coming from Dave, but achieving it might not be as easy as you think.

dds in a 3900 might be interesting, especially if it had tcxo's in it too. the other problem you run into with extra power is dissipating the heat build up, the biggest cause of drift in these type of radios. but is all that cost effective in a radio no-one wants to pay more than 150 quid new for.

p.s. i thought all freebanders were hardcore, lol. its not the equipment that counts, its the person using it.;) freebanding is an incurable illness.

then dickheads inevitably turn the alc up full, splatter everywhere and you totally defeat the purpose of what you tried to achieve, i appreciate where you are coming from Dave, but achieving it might not be as easy as you think.

Weld the damn cases shut/install security screws at the factory and stop 80% of returns on warranty work and shitty sounding radios.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.