• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interesting - Snow on roof

MadVeteran

Sep 8, 2021
OK, the snow is not the interesting thing but,
I put an inverted V dipole in my attic last summer expecting it to be fine in summer but, I wondered how it would be when the roof tiles were covered in Snow.
We now have on and off (still melting or blowing off for now) about a half inch to an inch of snow on the roofs.
I checked the SWR when there was definitely snow across the roof (1 inch or less) but had no increase in SWR at all.
- Is that normal?
- will SWR be affected once there is more snow/ice (will confirm soon BTW) ?

Cheers

MadVeteran, sp5it:

the swr on the line is determined only by the matching conditions at the load.
when conditions at the load change, the standing wave ratio will change.

i doubt that anyone you work over the air has noticed any reduction in signal.

Last edited:
In Mike's ase, SP5IT, the snow is making direct contact with the antenna thus changing the stray capacitance which affects tuning. In the OP's case the snow is isolated from the antenna thus minimizing the acfect just as a radome does to an antenna.

Thanks for all the input. I will let you know what the SWR is when there is four feet of snow up there.... Wont be long unfortunately.

A foot of wet snow on roof and, no change in SWR.
OK, this will cause replies,, I bought one of those ATS-100 Chinese auto antenna tuners (just because ok). After some confusion, I tuned every 11 meter channel and, they are all below 1.2 to 1. Not bad and looks cool with all the other black boxes.
My antenna wasnt bad, I just wanted the tuner. Some channels have been improved by the tuner.
Now,, I have antenna,,, tuner,,, 11 meter radios (and 10 meter radio), do you think its time i get my ham licence ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated