1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

IRF 520 VS IRF 520N

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Gear Swapshop' started by Charles Brown, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Charles Brown

Charles Brown Member

Seems the 520N is getting harder to get. My question,there are mods out there to upgrade the Cobra 29 LTD CLASSIC to the 520N. Can I use the 520 in this application?

2. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

The specification sheets do not distinguish between the 520N and the 520. I think they are the same part. The "N" could be a revision of the older style.

3. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Sr. Member

I think the IRF520N is a brand name or maybe it stands for "N-Channel MosFet".
    Mouser might have those.

The new "3rd generation" ones look promising SiHF520, and also "ERF2030+"; they might work as a replacement.

#3 LeapFrog, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  4. ButtFuzz

ButtFuzz Anti-BS Advocate ● N4REV ● Reverend Doctor

Or simply "N"ew.

5. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Sr. Member

For anyone considering the new "ERF2030+ by EKL/Palomar" as a replacement.
    From my experience they require greater "turn-on voltage" or bias voltage than the IRF520, so while it is a pin for pin match.. you may not get acceptable results until you increase the bias voltage..

6. ExitThirteen

ExitThirteen Grumpy and Cranky

The IRF520N is a "more rugged" version of the IRF520, it has higher drain current spec than the IRF520. The IRF520 can be used as a substitute for the IRF520N in the Cobra 29 in this case.

~Cheers~

Shadetree Mechanic and LeapFrog like this.
  7. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Sr. Member

Thank You Exit13

8. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Sr. Member

Well guys, nobody likes to be wrong, but part of being responsible is "owning up to it" when you make an error.
    My measurements have been off by an unknown margin of error, for a little while due to a failing 9 volt battery in my multi-meter...

So please disregard my comment about the bias voltage, I'll post more when I know more about this, and after I have an accurate meter in my hands.

My apologies, and best regards to all.

#8 LeapFrog, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    binrat likes this.