• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is a Soft Key needed?

Crambone

Jan 22, 2019
I'm going to use a Kenwood TS830S with a Heathkit SB-200 do I need a soft start? If so what one is available and from where?

73’s KB2LMN

When i rebuild my Heathkit SB-1000 i put a soft start in it as well.
Reason? i don't like the thump it sometimes made switching it in and sometimes taking out the group it is connected to 16 amps at 230 volts.
Automatic fuses are really fast......;)
And i didn't like the blast of rush in power for the electronics, tube ( new 3 - 500ZG) transformer etc.
So, just a 1 second delay to charge the electrolites and start up then it switches over.
I know it can handle it without, but it gives some re assuring things don't get blasted .

The first place I would normally send you for a soft start module is Harbach Electronics.

Just one problem. His basement flooded and wiped out his business operations. Says he'll be back, but doesn't say when.

Even a half-second delay helps a lot. Remember that the longer the delay, the bigger the limit resistor has to be. It can get only so hot in a half second. But the longer the delay, the bigger it will have to be.

We have used a few from chinabay, but that's a crap shoot. I'll see if I can come up with a reliable alternative.

The first place I would normally send you for a soft start module is Harbach Electronics.

Just one problem. His basement flooded and wiped out his business operations. Says he'll be back, but doesn't say when.

Even a half-second delay helps a lot. Remember that the longer the delay, the bigger the limit resistor has to be. It can get only so hot in a half second. But the longer the delay, the bigger it will have to be.

We have used a few from chinabay, but that's a crap shoot. I'll see if I can come up with a reliable alternative.

Anything else I should do to the SB-200 prior to using with TS-830S?

Cool link. Thanks. But probably not necessary. Seems to me the amplifier keying jack on the TS830 connects to the unused side of the antenna changeover relay. A relay big enough to carry the radio's full RF output will tolerate the SB220's stock relay voltage just fine with no need to buffer it.

Patch cord alone should be all you need for that radio. And most newer-model ham HF transceivers would probably croak if you tried this.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated