• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is anyone using the MFJ QRP tuner?

QRPGUY

Aug 5, 2010
I currently use a Kenwood AT-130 tuner with my Yaesu FT-817ND, but have been looking at the MFJ-971 for portable and backpacking (the AT-130 is a bit heavy). I would like some pros and cons from folks who are currently using one. I've looked at some autotuners like the LDG Z-817 and ElecraftT-1, but prefer using a manual tuner. any help would be appreciated. :unsure:

I don't use the MFJ-971, but I do use the MFJ-904H, which is practically the same thing. They work fine for what they are. You have to remember that on these little tuners, the capacitors are pretty small which makes the adjustments very touchy. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. I've packed mine all over the place and it has never failed me.

I suggest being careful while handling the tuner while transmitting. If you're in the field and don't have a way to ground the chassis using the ground screw, you can get an RF burn if you're not careful, so turn the power way down while adjusting it. With 100 watts, you can feel the RF on the alan set screws that hold the knobs on. One time I was using mine in my Jeep to a wire antenna that was fed with ladder line. The tuner was sitting on the passenger seat and while I was transmitting, the thing started to slip off the seat. I reached over to grab it while talking and gave myself a real nice RF burn from the ground screw on the back.

I just started using the MFJ 971 tuner with the 20m SSB MFJ 9420 rig. Very lightweight, easy to adjust, and has the crossneedle meter. The only issue I have is a very minor one. In order to change the meter range you normally just hit the button on the back, but to change the 6W range to 300w range, you have to move some jumpers. No problem but they are under the circuit board rather than on top. Makes for some disassembly. Fortunately you probably only need to do this once. Check the online manual for details on this. Overall I really like this unit that I use exclusively for portable use with the monobander. For my home station, I like the LDG Pro 200 autotuner since I am working several different bands and wow, its quick.

Tuner for FT-817

QRP/Guy: Greetings and Welcome...
I am not a big MFJ tuner fan! They OVERRATE them seriously bad power wise. Their 300 watt tuners should be 150 watt max and KW and higher should be about 1/2 advertized....I've rebuilt to many of them smoked beyond recognition to know...enough there!

The 817 is a great rig...had one for going on 6 years now...been updated with 60m mod, newer mosfet finals(about 7 watts HF now)...

Look to the "BLT" Qrp unit or the Emtech "Z" match tuner...
I think you will find much better performance from either of these running a stock 817 in "the field" than you will ever get from the MFJ...IMHO
If your running a "packer" amp with her their are a couple of other "Z" matcher projects in the 50 to 100w+ range that are very easy to make and will out match anything you will get from MFJ...
Enjoy
ALL the Best Qrp'er(y)
BJ
NAQCC #77...and more . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.