• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is CB mail order only?

CB shop business was killed by the internet and distributors who agree to drop ship. If you can find a distributor who drop ships, you can open an internet site, post a bunch of pictures of product you don't have in inventory, sell at the distributor's price and add $10 for "shipping and handling" and make a few bucks without almost any investment. Some shops I know of are run out of a guys bedroom. No need to carry any inventory or even know what a CB is. Retail shops who actually carry inventory and offer a service can't compete on price, but have to carry inventory, pay rent, etc.

God or "Uncle Charlie"?? Didn't David Pace get a citation for selling illegal radios and amplifiers?

I won David's case. Government admitted they were wrong

if you don't mind me asking, how did you manage that?

i happened to see the FCC case against him online, and it listed all the "illegal" radios (10m that were advertised as working on cb frequencies, iirc) and amplifiers and they appeared to be all listed from right off his website.

was the "for export use only" disclaimer sufficient protection for him?

I hope those are not any of the guys that ran the old EEI, Express Electronics, from like 12 years ago. The infamous 50 dollar Turbo Tune. I am sure there are several members here that still remember them.

The only dealings I had with EEI was a mistake in my order. I ordered a virgin Texas Ranger TR296 which is just a older style Malaysian made Cobra 148.....8719 PLL and performs the same way as the pre 1997 148s.
EEI screwed up my order and sent me a Texas Ranger TR296F........same radio except for a frequency counter.
I was happy.....real heavy audio monster.
EEI also claimed that they were making the Magnaforce line of amps....not just selling , but manufacturing.

I googled CB shops in NC, and got a couple on the other end of the state.

Are we limited to mail order only now?

I know of one shop not inside a truck stop, its in Archdale and if you dont know where that is it probably aint worth the drive out there.

Lots of great info guys.

Not sure what the problem with a "stock" radio is to be honest. What else do I need to listen to for road conditions? I looked at a 29 and it had everything I THINK I need. SWR, calibration, etc.

AND, what's the deal on some of the "peaked & tuned" mail order rigs?

Snake oil? Won't the radio calibration do the needed tuning?

I'l do 95% of my talking on Ham. NO plans to put in a huge base station.
Maybe a small base antenna & a 29 in the garage.

Appreciate you answering all the rookie questions.

I found a 29 for $84 shipped. The one I found local is $108 out the door.

Lots of great info guys.

Not sure what the problem with a "stock" radio is to be honest. What else do I need to listen to for road conditions? I looked at a 29 and it had everything I THINK I need. SWR, calibration, etc.

AND, what's the deal on some of the "peaked & tuned" mail order rigs?

Snake oil? Won't the radio calibration do the needed tuning?

I'l do 95% of my talking on Ham. NO plans to put in a huge base station.
Maybe a small base antenna & a 29 in the garage.

Appreciate you answering all the rookie questions.

I found a 29 for $84 shipped. The one I found local is $108 out the door.

cb found a cobra 29 for you for $40 near raleigh, but I woulnt pay more than maybe $30 for an am only rig....unless it was one of those old black faced rigs with the 3 meters, those were kinda cool

cb found a cobra 29 for you for $40 near raleigh, but I woulnt pay more than maybe $30 for an am only rig....unless it was one of those old black faced rigs with the 3 meters, those were kinda cool

Thanks for that contact. It's 4 hours away though. I think I have bought my last used radio equipment.

100 percent useless in 60 days or less. My luck is not the best to say the least.

returning the HD 29 I bought tomorrow. Class act to give me my money back.

I turned him on to the $84 new 29. He's going to switch the HD case & face to the new radio. He's an avid Harley Collector. I would love to have one that works, but that ain't gonna happen. I saw a few "NIB" Harley Cobras for TOO much money.

I googled CB shops in NC, and got a couple on the other end of the state.

Are we limited to mail order only now?

There's a an electronics shop in Fayetteville, NC called Knights Electronics that specializes in CB radios.

Kris XL-50

Attachments

• kris_xl50.jpg
    kris_xl50.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 31

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.