• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is CB radio suffering from the loudness wars?

Exactly I don't know why there are so many haters Of these radios. I have a new FT450d. nice rig with mars cap mod done. Just is not my kinda radio. I will never know why I bought it...

Exactly I don't know why there are so many haters Of these radios. I have a new FT450d. nice rig with mars cap mod done. Just is not my kinda radio. I will never know why I bought it...

There are probably some good ones but I'm not going to waste my time with anymore of them. There was a time I was an export fan but I've moved on and sold them to people who appreciate them.

Reactions: LeapFrog

I know why. Because the poor IMD and spurious emissions are not heard by the operator so therefore they don't care and if you check the adjacent channel rejection with another radio side by side you will the export is inferior to even most regular CB's and certainly to even the basic amateur radio. I have a 2950DX and can honestly say that what I said here is true.

Going back to the original post; CB radio isn't suffering anything at all. Neither is Amateur radio. There are PLENTY of folks who use it all of the time. If we were to experience a sudden week of good propagation, then no one would claim that radio is suffering anything whatsoever. Except - perhaps - getting a word in edgewise.

'Loudness' as an issue is a phenomena of AM CB radio users. Does that create a problem? No; not really. Why? Because loudness is a perception of propagation vs proximity. Think that if more were so inclined, they would be more concerned about the quality/type of antenna they chose over amp power.

Some think that getting/using an amp is the only way to make it work. In that process, they 'throw the baby out with the bath water'; they did not take as much care with the rest of the system and laid it all on their amps to make it happen.

Always makes me laugh when I hear a mobile radio operator with a huge amp and a bad signal only to find out he/she is using an inferior antenna and a hacked radio with it.

Even though this is still true to some degree, radio forums have created a better awareness of 'how things tick'. CB radio operators are now getting what they could not since it first became popular. Information abounds; best to take full advantage and ask every question that one can reason on forums. CB radio never had it so good.

Last edited:
... the poor IMD and spurious emissions are not heard by the operator ....

Correct, I can't count the number of times when a operator of a crappy sounding radio is told that they "sound fine",... tune a KC away and see how they really sound.

You don't hear the splatter when you zero beat the signal.

..... and NO,............ I do know know to operate my receiver;)

Cb radios have to meet certification standards. Exports are like uncle bobs moonshine that he proofs in the bathtub. Then uncle Carl takes the jars to his house to customize them with lights and sparkle after he smokes some meth.

I hear Uncle Bob and Uncle Carl punched their ham tickets but are nevertheless hanging out on 2 giga hertz, where their delusional state has them convinced that they really are communicating with E.T.

Just keep them off of 38LSB...please! That's all I ask.

Etiquette, you say? We live in an age where most people can't see past their own immediate wants and desires. They can't even anticipate an actual need, 30 seconds from now. Much less are they able or willing to consider their neighbors wants, desires or needs.

It's not just the radio community that suffers; you see it on the roads, the register jockey who can barely be pulled away from FaceBook on the iPhone, for the 2 minutes it takes to ring up your 6 pack, etc.

Sadly, etiquette and manners are fading out. I don't much care for the trend; it's a disgrace.

Yeah, I wonder what caused this to occur.all i see is lots more agressive selfishness than ever before.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I run a Shure Beta 57a with all my radios and have never heard anything but good replies with it, it's all in how you run your crap

Reactions: Troubleshooter

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?