• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is CB radio suffering from the loudness wars?

you do like to make assumptions, don't you?
Why people don't utalize 37 and 39 when 38 gets crazy is beyond me.
who says they don't? When skip is rolling I often use 39 and make a fair number of contacts there, as must you or you wouldn't be doing it. and if no ones utilizing 37 and 39 who are you and I talking to?

of course talking on a clean channel doesn't give one the feeling of power and superiority that busting through the mess does.

It depends on how you look at it. There are always CB techs claiming to invent new technology or claim theirs is better than brand X.

No matter how you look at it, claims of tech are not the same as tech. if it was I'd be rich on investments in my claims of instantaneous interstellar transporting.

For years, when I was growing up we had an old 23 channel Realistic Navaho base with a Radio Shack/Archer 1/2 wave antenna. It served us well.

When I was 18, I studied for my novice license. Getting my hands on an SSB CB soon blunted my interest in Ham radio. I really enjoyed the SSB crowds on LSB 16 and LSB 38. Getting that atmosphere back might be impossible, but it doesn't mean we can't improve the status quo.

We've had the discussion on here before about using 38LSB as essentially a hailing frequency and then QSY-ing over to another SSB frequency to continue the conversation. It seems simple enough. There's also been some talk of "reclaiming" LSB16.

A dedicated effort at both could improve the CB experience for all of us using SSB.

Reactions: walterjn
CB is suffering from several things, many of which have already been mentioned here.

But, poor marketing doesn't help, either. The marketing is virtually nonexistent. I wonder how many people are completely unaware that it's possible to purchase a brand new CB radio? I wonder how many people are unaware that such a device even exists?

In conjunction with the lack of marketing, is a lack of availability. On the occasion that I see a CB at, say, Walmart, it's usually a Cobra 19 (or the Uniden equivalent), and most of the time, there's no antenna to go with it. If there is an antenna, it's some crappy little thing. And that's no fun.

Unless you happen to live where there is a CB shop near by, you can't just run out to pick up coax (decent or otherwise) or accessories. Even if you have truck stops nearby, the only SSB radio you're likely to have available is the Uniden 980. The only SWR meters are going to be Astatic. Coax is going to be premade Wilson or K40 (or cheap ass house brand). Almost all of the accessories available will be made by the same company, with the only exception being Firestik Antennas. (Once in a blue moon, I do run across Firestik coax and antenna mounts.) Even when it looks like you have a good choice between brands, you really don't.

Yeah, you can order most stuff online, but then you have to wait. Most people would have to wait until at least the next business day, or 3 business days. I have to wait up to six weeks (downside to trucking).

One would think that the CB radio industry might want to jump on some aggressive marketing when a CB shows up in a movie. Take Joyride, for example. The CB was a main feature of that movie; there would have been no plot, without it. The handle "Candycane" became a catchphrase for the next 2 years. Had CBs been more accessible, and better advertised, they would have been bought. Bruce Willis saved the world, several years ago, with the help of a tech geek and his "ancient tech " CB radio.

Aggressive marketing, product placement, and product availability. Scatter a few halfway decent marketing directors around the industry, give them a decent budget, and the hobby would have a healthy boost within a year. (Well, a boost, anyway; I suppose how healthy it is would be open to interpretation, and dependant upon the interpreters attitude and patience with the inevitable dumbassery that would come with the growth)

Reactions: walterjn
Sarasota Slim,

While I do agree that aggressive marketing and such would help to a degree, I don't think it's going to do much for CB as a whole, for two major reasons. It pains me, too, because I'd LOVE to see a resurgence in CB radio usage, that would be amazing.

1) Cell phones and internet. This one is pretty obvious. Now that there are so many other ways to communicate, CB becomes less "useful", and more of a novelty. I don't mean that in a bad way, since I truly enjoy CB. But it is what it is.

2) People that are getting ham tickets aren't staying involved with CB. More often than not, new hams that get their ticket (especially general class and extra class) don't have as much of a desire to stay in CB anymore. Not all hams are this way, I know there are plenty of hams that do still stay involved, but it's trending more and more these days that CB has gone to the wayside in regards to new ham licensees. A big factor in this was the fact that the FCC dropped the code requirements for general and extra classes (which in my opinion was a huge, HUGE mistake). Fact is, new hams aren't staying involved with CB as much these days, and it's not some stupid assumption I'm making, it's what I'm seeing at both a local level and a regional level (surrounding states).

Reason #1 is primarily the reason why I made the statement about "technology" war.

I love CB and I'm gonna sink with that boat, I'm sure... but it doesn't have as much to do with a "loudness" war as much as it has to do with a "technology" war. So in that case CK is right. CB got trampled. And it sucks. :(

~Cheers~

machine_head_8_track.jpg

There are better ways these days to listen to this music then when this 8 track was made. Just like there are better ways to communicate than using a CB radio. 8 tracks won't be making a comeback anytime soon.

I hope that I've helped keep a few vintage radio's alive with the capacitors kits that I have provided over the years. I love the randomness of 11m DX and no modern technology can replace that but when even that boat no longer shows up, my interest in the hobby goes Titanic. A hobby that follows dwindling Solar cycles is like watching a friend with a terminal disease.

Yes, modern technological advancement has delivered quite the blow to the lowly Citizens Band Radio. I will not disagree.

Have you ever seen anyone driving at night, though, and they've just been driving by the light of their day time driving lights, so they have no taillights? I see it several times every night. Next time you see that, how about whipping out the trusty cell phone, and giving that guy a call, to remind him to turn on his lights?

Or, how about, the next time that your sitting in a traffic jam, call the guy at the front of the line, so you can find out what's going on.

Of course, you don't know those people, most likely, so you can't do that. You don't have their phone numbers. The CB is old tech, sure. But, it isn't useless tech.

There are still many places, all over the country, that have poor or nonexistent cell coverage. CB's can still work, though.

And, don't underestimate the power of a good marketing campaign. You know, last Friday, millions of Americans went out and drank a lot of Mexican beer and tequila, and ate burritos, tacos, and enchiladas, and listened to Hispanic music. Why? Because last Friday was May 5, or Cinco de Mayo. Most people don't know why they went out on a Mexi-fest, they just went because their friends did. That was the result of a marketing campaign, to sell Corona. Most Mexicans, I understand, don't even celebrate the holiday. I couldn't even find anyone to tell me the significance. (It's a recognition of Mexican triumph over French forces, by the way. That battle concluded on the 5th of May, back in the 1800's)

Another example; several times, every day, some poor sod enters a jewelry store, and plunks down the equivalent of 2 months of his wages to purchase a clear and sparkly rock, that has been affixed to a shiny metal band. Later, he will present that goofy thing to some bright eyed young girl, with the hopes that she will agree to marry him. He doesn't know why he needs the magic rock, but she won't marry him without it. That is the result of a marketing campaign by De Beers jewelers, back in the late 30's. They even came up with the completely arbitrary 2 month salary guide line. 80 years later, we still do it.

It's not that a marketing campaign would be hard, either. I don't pay too close attention to modern trends, but I think that Zombies, and the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse, are still a thing. That's an easy thing to latch on to;

"The Zombie Apocalypse. It is here. The cell towers are down. How will you communicate with your fellow zombie fighters? Good thing you have your Chicken Bander 3000, with the patented Super Squawker(tm) microphone technology!! Etc., etc."

The aforementioned traffic jam scenario would also be a good selling point, especially when you add some safety aspect to it, like not having to fiddle with smartphone screens for traffic updates.

Our modern lives are filled with things that we really don't need, because of good marketing. We do absurd things, like celebrate obscure Mexican holidays, or propose to our girlfriends with stupid, shiny, overpriced rocks (yeah, I did that one, too), because of good marketing.

I truly believe that CB could make a comeback with some good marketing and promotion, along with some better effort towards product availability.

Unfortunately, though, I think that the manufacturers of CB's and accessories have given up. I guess that they are content to ride it out quietly, to the very end, whereupon they will quietly shut their doors without incident, and vanish into the oblivion. Many of them have done so, already. Or, they just sold out to DAS, who keeps the old names on life support, just barely breathing, at travel centers.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.