• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IS CB REALLY DYING OUT ???

if truckers knew how nice the and dependable 2 meter rigs were i think there would be many more hams and radio sales woulde soar

I started looking at all the trucks I pass by lately and most are running multiple antennas. Not dual 11m, but varying lengths. So most have moved over to differnt freqs. Granted, most of these appeared to be long haul guys and not local.

I started looking at all the trucks I pass by lately and most are running multiple antennas. Not dual 11m, but varying lengths. So most have moved over to differnt freqs. Granted, most of these appeared to be long haul guys and not local.

I have seen them run cellular antennas by wilson but ill start looking for 2meter /70cm antennas and call out on the call channel . see what happens

I have no experience with 2 meters so don't get me wrong, but how are 2meter rigs more reliable?
I don’t think the word reliable is appropriate here. The radios themselves are built better generally and the range would be slightly better because of the higher base wattage. Most 2 meter antennas have much higher gain then the typical "cb" antenna and they are smaller. The signal would be more line of sight and have a lower angle of radiation because of the higher gain. Mobile to mobile coms can easily be up to 50+ miles based on terrain. Base to mobile can easily exceed 100+ again based on terrain. I had a contact once on 146.520 using my 5 watt HT (walkie talkie) that was well over 60 miles. Of course that was good conditions and the base I was talking to had his antenna 125' up.

Wow this is some of best info on ham radios I have read. I go back and forth on getting my ticket or sticking with CB...

Don't know whether to stick with what I know and like or leap of into unknown ham land. Haha!

Wow this is some of best info on ham radios I have read. I go back and forth on getting my ticket or sticking with CB...

Don't know whether to stick with what I know and like or leap of into unknown ham land. Haha!

Do both! I would say though not just to get technician and a cheap chinese HT and think that talking through repeaters and local is all there is to amateur radio. You need to progress to at least the next license level to get access to more HF bands.

The only thing is that once you get HF privileges and start on the HF bands such as 15,17 and 20m then you'll find 11m DXing rather lame in comparison. Even on 10m you seem to be able to get further than 11m for reasons I cannot explain. Maybe its because there's more people running proper antennas at the other end.

The advantage is that as you progress through the licenses and learn more it'll benefit your CB station as well.

Even on 10m you seem to be able to get further than 11m for reasons I cannot explain. Maybe its because there's more people running proper antennas at the other end.
That's because everyone isn't crammed on 40 distinct channels.
I'd venture to say there are more dedicated 11m beam antennas in the air than 10m beams.

Reactions: 3 people
That's because everyone isn't crammed on 40 distinct channels.
I'd venture to say there are more dedicated 11m beam antennas in the air than 10m beams.
I will agree with that statement. Because of the congestion on 11 meters (legal freqs) amps and a beam are almost required just to get through were on 10 a simple dipole will allow you to work the world on 100 watts.

This is not directed to w9cll, Agree with everything...

However, his comments got me thinking how nice 2 meter FM would be on the road without all the noise. Then I realized maybe not so much.

For big trucks it might not be good for the same reason that aircraft still use AM. You can hear everybody....not just the loudest closest transmitter.

Imagine you are running up the highway like I was the other day. Straddled buy two company drivers. They yapped on for over an hour. So now let's say someone comes the other way hollering that the highway is shut down for a wreck just past the next off-ramp. FM I would never hear him. Am or sideband I still have a pretty good chance....

fonman 496

I don’t think the word reliable is appropriate here. The radios themselves are built better generally and the range would be slightly better because of the higher base wattage. Most 2 meter antennas have much higher gain then the typical "cb" antenna and they are smaller. The signal would be more line of sight and have a lower angle of radiation because of the higher gain. Mobile to mobile coms can easily be up to 50+ miles based on terrain. Base to mobile can easily exceed 100+ again based on terrain. I had a contact once on 146.520 using my 5 watt HT (walkie talkie) that was well over 60 miles. Of course that was good conditions and the base I was talking to had his antenna 125' up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Nick23 et al,

You can jump into ham with both feet or come up with a receiver for the bands you might be interested in. Listen around and see if its a game you want to play.

Ham to me is a little like having trains for a hobby. Some guys have HO layouts or different scales. Some only care about spotting full scale stuff. Others, well you get the idea.

Around here 2 meter repeaters have been all but dead. Not completely, but about like CB now.

Always signals somewhere on the low bands. I personally am totally enamored with Morse. Mobile or portable then voice is fun.

Really, we are all in the same hobby.....radio!!!

fonman 496

Do both! I would say though not just to get technician and a cheap chinese HT and think that talking through repeaters and local is all there is to amateur radio. You need to progress to at least the next license level to get access to more HF bands.

The only thing is that once you get HF privileges and start on the HF bands such as 15,17 and 20m then you'll find 11m DXing rather lame in comparison. Even on 10m you seem to be able to get further than 11m for reasons I cannot explain. Maybe its because there's more people running proper antennas at the other end.

The advantage is that as you progress through the licenses and learn more it'll benefit your CB station as well.

Reactions: 1 person
This is not directed to w9cll, Agree with everything...

However, his comments got me thinking how nice 2 meter FM would be on the road without all the noise. Then I realized maybe not so much.
I have travelled with 2 meters in the car, you get outside of a city and its deader than dead. HF when travelling is good as there is always someone somewhere to talk to.

There's not much activity here. A few of us on 38 LSB or maybe 39 LSB....then you have the occasional trucker on 19. Otherwise, it's dead.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.