• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is it me or are CBers cheaper than hams?

Staybolt

Mar 20, 2013
I had some gear for sale locally on a facebook garage sale site and i had my prices set very reasonable. I had no less than 4 CBers ask me if id consider just giving the radios away because they had no money!! Dont get me wrong i like a deal but holy crap! And the radios were not cheap things either most had SSB and one was a ssb base..

I had some gear for sale locally on a facebook garage sale site and i had my prices set very reasonable. I had no less than 4 CBers ask me if id consider just giving the radios away because they had no money!! Dont get me wrong i like a deal but holy crap! And the radios were not cheap things either most had SSB and one was a ssb base..

Off topic a bit but I have noticed that radio people in general over value their equipment. Asking almost retail prices for used equipment. Meh I guess people are paying.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah i see that. I put items on Ebay and have it set for make an offer and i cant believe the cheap SOBs out there that almost want me to give stuff away.. I had an FT 101E for ale once with the AM filter and had it buy it now for $300.00 and i had "send best offer" i had 2 guys end me an offer for $50.00. I simply blocked and banned them.

I like the ones that describe in great detail, their disability status and fixed income. Try to make you feel sympathy.

Assholes talking smack with a fridge full of beer and smoking 4 packs of cigarettes a day. Poor kids running around the house with a shitty diaper and stunted development, only to repeat the cycle.

Lazy, toothless illiterate bastards.

Reactions: 8 people
I had no less than 4 CBers ask me if id consider just giving the radios away because they had no money!! Dont get me wrong i like a deal but holy crap! And the radios were not cheap things either most had SSB and one was a ssb base..

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I have a rule when looking at stuff if I feel it is a good deal or I have to have it ill take it at what they list but most times ill see if they will cut off 10~15% off

If I see an older radio listed for $150 I'll usually offer $100, and might end up splitting the difference at $125.

I see people asking $200 for President Washington's and such but I've picked up many for $80-100 so no way I'd pay over $125 for one.

Hams will buy expensive equipment but they also can be cheap as hell for used stuff. When I sell on eham I always get some crazy low ball offers and I don't even bother writing back because I'd just say something insulting. I had something listed for $250 and someone offered me $75.

People do overprice stuff but I've also had a crap load of sob stories about needing a radio and can't afford one etc.

I think these are the same people who come up in the parking lot and say they ran out of gas and need $5. I had a guy the other day ask for $5 for gas money so he could get his diabetic mom home as she needed her medication..I said "oh my god that sounds serious, I'll call 911 and the police will drive her home immediately for free..." ...he said no no no that's okay and ran off. I hate that crap.

If you came up and said, I'm lazy and can't hold a job because I'm a alcoholic I'd be more likely to give you $5 than lying to me. I understand alcoholism and drug addiction, the thing I can't stand are people who lie or can't keep their word.

I did give a radio away one time to a local guy who was disabled and could barely see. He was a drunk but was on disability and just talked on the radio all day. I figured I might as well help the guy out.

Reactions: 5 people
I traveled extensively while in the military. I've had many people come up and ask me for money to get something to eat.

It usually seemed to happen while I was hungry myself. I'd asked them to come with me and I'd buy them dinner. I was usually within walking distance of a restaurant. I really don't remember anyone turning me down. I met some decent people and had good conversation. People were different back then. I would have to seriously consider doing anything like that now.

I know what it's like to be poor, been there, done that. I'll likely help a guy out, but if your pockets are bulging with cigarettes, then the deal is likely off.

Reactions: 6 people
hams are usually wealthier. that's what i've observed. 99.9% of the hams I know are white, upper middle class men with a college degree. Most CBers are good ol' boys like me.

Im a ham but i'm more of the good ol' boy type. I'm not rich, but i am college educated, lol.

To the original question, the answer is yes. Not that CB'ers are especially 'cheap', it's just that there tends to be a lot more CB stuff floating around than ham stuff. The requirements for CB equipment hasn't changed in a LOT of years, unlike ham stuff. So, more 'old' stuff is still around, being exchanges for however much, and it's just not as expensive as ham gear. That leaves a lot still unsaid, so take it where ever you want to go with it.
The same thing can be said about a lot of things, not just CB stuff...
- 'Doc

Sorry, Bubba, I may have some cheap stuff but it still ain't free, you know?

Reactions: 3 people
I like the ones that describe in great detail, their disability status and fixed income. Try to make you feel sympathy.

Assholes talking smack with a fridge full of beer and smoking 4 packs of cigarettes a day. Poor kids running around the house with a shitty diaper and stunted development, only to repeat the cycle.

Lazy, toothless illiterate bastards.

Welcome to the Vermont culture!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Cheap CB'ers

Well,

Been a licensed Amateur since 1955 (59 years)..........

I've met, known, been around, seen at Hamfests some

cheap cheap, brutally cheap HAMS...............jus sayin................

Reactions: jonahhex and w9cll
In my expierence most CB gear has poor resale value because of the basic law of supply and demand. Certain gear that is considered collectable and rare and in high demand can command very high prices, but most other gear where the supply is endless and not in demand, the resale value is much lower.

And it also doesn't help that the CB hobby is not as popular as it once was.

So no I don't think that CBers are cheap, I think it's the fault of a depressed market.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.