• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldslowchevy

it seems to me for the most part anytime i try to talk to a ham operator about interest in the hobby and want to learn more about it they seem eager to offer advice untill i mention that i talk on the cb as well, then the noses get turned up tha snooby "i am better than thou" aditude starts and then if you are lucky they just igore you, at worse you are told what a low life you are..... :(

i have been thinking of getting my ham ticket, but i will be dammed if i want to be treated as a 3rd class citizen because i enjoy the cb as well.

so is it just me that gets this, or are there othes also?

Yes....but don't worry about it...if you want a ham radio license get one....just don't forget you are a CBer first...don't let a piece of paper turn you into a arse-hole. :)

Reactions: 1 person
OSC,
thats a touchy subject for some. Almost all the locals around my area here have cb as part of their ham radio roots.

:pop::pop::pop:...."And they're off"

:bdh:Trollin....trollin....trollin....
Keep Moving nothing to see here^^ ab v c^^
All the Best
BJ

sorry brother but i ain't trolling and you kinda proved my point. thnks for nothing though.

it seems to me for the most part anytime i try to talk to a ham operator about interest in the hobby and want to learn more about it they seem eager to offer advice untill i mention that i talk on the cb as well, then the noses get turned up tha snooby "i am better than thou" aditude starts and then if you are lucky they just igore you, at worse you are told what a low life you are..... :(

i have been thinking of getting my ham ticket, but i will be dammed if i want to be treated as a 3rd class citizen because i enjoy the cb as well.

so is it just me that gets this, or are there othes also?

Its mostly the older guys that act like this. I get the third degree from quite a few here but they know how i am and i dont put up with the crap so they leave me alone. If you want to get your ticket go ahead and do it. if the "holier than thou" and the "Born again ham" guys give you a hard time tell them to kiss your ass. I have!

Oh btw, im a General class ham with 5 WPM code endorsement. LOL. But i STILL love CB radio!!!!

:pop::pop::pop:...."And they're off"

:bdh:Trollin....trollin....trollin....
Keep Moving nothing to see here^^ ab v c^^
All the Best
BJ

Dude, give him a break he was asking a question and NOT trolling... Just sayin.^^ ab v c^^

This forum is a good example, a lot of the guys here are Hams, and as far as most of us are concerned, radio is radio.
Don`t let it get to you, there are people like that everywhere in life and you just move on.
Enjoy radio for what it is, and look for the good in it and let the bad slide off like water on a duck and you will be a lot better off for it.
I started playing with Cb radio many years ago, and then got my ticket in `94, don`t matter to me why or with what service you started in radio, it is all the same.
It is only a big deal if you let it become one.....Just have fun.

jeff

Reactions: 8 people
Just a note here.....CBer versus ham threads do not last long here. :whistle:

On that note I will add that if you want a ham ticket then get it. just don't bother to mention that you are on CB. The issue goes back a long way and continues to this day. many CBers got their ham tickets and continued the same old CB lingo and way of operating ( over modulated radios, dirty class C amps, roger beeps etc) on the ham bands which has caused a lot of grief. The stereotypical CBer is someone who operates on the freeband, runs dirty class C amps, uses roger beeps, and has a general disregard for the rules. This stereotype fits a huge percentage of CBers therefore it is no wonder that they are often looked down upon by hams.Many of them have gotten their ticket and continued to run their export radios, roger beeps and class C amps on 10/12m That is the basic reason why some hams treat CBers the way they do. We have a repeater up here that became know as the 2m CB repeater because a bunch of former CBers basically took it over. Polite requests to drop the CB lingo, 10 codes etc etc were met with responses like "Fuck you! I have a ticket and am not doing anything illegal so mind your own fucking business!" Now you know why it is as it is.

As I said in my first line above CB versus ham threads do not last long here so lets not get into that. I merely posted the above as background info as to why some things are as they are.

Reactions: 3 people
And I have posted videogates of hams behaving badly also...so hams are far from being the epitome of radio etiquette.....good n bad in all.

Reactions: 3 people
Just a note here.....CBer versus ham threads do not last long here. :whistle:

On that note I will add that if you want a ham ticket then get it. just don't bother to mention that you are on CB. The issue goes back a long way and continues to this day. many CBers got their ham tickets and continued the same old CB lingo and way of operating ( over modulated radios, dirty class C amps, roger beeps etc) on the ham bands which has caused a lot of grief. The stereotypical CBer is someone who operates on the freeband, runs dirty class C amps, uses roger beeps, and has a general disregard for the rules. This stereotype fits a huge percentage of CBers therefore it is no wonder that they are often looked down upon by hams.Many of them have gotten their ticket and continued to run their export radios, roger beeps and class C amps on 10/12m That is the basic reason why some hams treat CBers the way they do. We have a repeater up here that became know as the 2m CB repeater because a bunch of former CBers basically took it over. Polite requests to drop the CB lingo, 10 codes etc etc were met with responses like "Fuck you! I have a ticket and am not doing anything illegal so mind your own fucking business!" Now you know why it is as it is.

As I said in my first line above CB versus ham threads do not last long here so lets not get into that. I merely posted the above as background info as to why some things are as they are.

this does help me out quite abit, i now understand the grief, though it would be nice if they could have stated that to me.

the radios i own are as follows..

uniden 40 channel cb pc68xl

also a alpha mini 10 meter that have have talked or 11 meter and listen to on the 10 meter bands so i can get a better understanding on who the ham stuff works. i DO NOT own a linear. i have NOT used a linear on cb.

i would prefer people to judge me for me and not as a group of others. but it is as it is i guess... :(

but thanks again as i was not bashing anyone just merely wondering if i was the only one that noticed the "aditude" or if it was just me.

Just go get your ticket and remember your roots after you do.

I enjoy CB very much. I especially enjoy talking to the locals, what's left of them anyways. Had a few pass on recently.

Reactions: 1 person
I had similar issues with a few hams many years ago.

I was Stupid and let my take this and shove it attitude ( that they were no better then anyone else and made sure they knew it )

Years later i realized.. hey.. People are people.. Good and Bad all over..

So i got my ticket..
I Ignore those who are dummies and move on..

This site is a Good Example..
It is Not CB verses Ham verses GMRS or MURS or FRS..

Simply it is different forms of various 2 way communications..
IS a Large enough Hobby for all to enjoy.

If you need.. Study a bit and Get your Ticket.
What i like about ham is you have legal access to many many more frequency's and types of 2 way communications.

Mostly though.. When i am on the air.. i chase skip on SSB (rather well ) mostly on CB but also on 2 meters as well as 70cm bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.